Pricelessware banner contest

Nicolaas Hawkins

Grovel. . . sorry, sorry, sorry. I should have posted FIRST or asked
you to make the switch.

More playing around, sfter rearranging the PL2006 headers:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006BUSINESS-HOME.php

I moved on the the ACF headers - added the "Wings of Freeware" logo as
an experiment - can't say that I'm all that please with the "look" ATM -
it seems too cluttered - and we *really* need better colors.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php

Suggestions *please*.

Susan

I don't see anything wrong with the "look" - but I think the colours in
the "wings" logo need to be about ten shades brighter. To hell with the
staid look - that logo needs to leap out at you and say *OY!*

Nicolaas.

.... Never mess up an apology with an excuse.

Vegard Krog Petersen

ISTM it would be nice to have something that authors of Pricelessware
apps could display on their awards pages.

Not exactly a banner, but I would like to suggest / promote my
suggestion of a little Pricelessware icon again :)

http://solitaire.vegard2.no/pricelessware_icon.gif

Could of course be improved upon. Or make a new one when the final
banner has been elected.

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Vegard Krog Petersen

erm. . . as long as I'm thinking up work for you :) why don't you have
an ACF logo contest too? It would be nice to have an ACF logo (better
color scheme etc.) - something that would really set the ACF web pages
apart from the PL pages.
Susan

My five cents on this: The ACF logo is *still* the 'NoMoneyFloppy' image
that was used in John Corliss' F.A.Q 2000-2003...
It was selected by the groups members a long, long time ago...

http://freewarelogo.vegard2.no/nomoneyfloppy.gif

Just trying to complicate things ;-)

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Vegard Krog Petersen

I moved on the the ACF headers - added the "Wings of Freeware" logo as
an experiment - can't say that I'm all that please with the "look" ATM -
it seems too cluttered - and we *really* need better colors.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php

Suggestions *please*.

Susan

*I* like it ;-) Keep the experiment....

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Vegard Krog Petersen

I don't see anything wrong with the "look" - but I think the colours in
the "wings" logo need to be about ten shades brighter. To hell with the
staid look - that logo needs to leap out at you and say *OY!*

I'm sure I can get the creator / author of the Freeware Logo (Ronald
Sandee) to make a special version for the acf/pricelessware pages, if
needed. :)

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Susan Bugher

An OY! look sounds good to me. :)

There are some other colors already available for the Freeware Logo:
http://freewarelogo.vegard2.no/

One logo has a whitish background that makes the other colors in the
logo stand out more - the ACF headers could use the red and green colors
that are used in the logo. What do you think - would that be enough
contrast?
I'm sure I can get the creator / author of the Freeware Logo (Ronald
Sandee) to make a special version for the acf/pricelessware pages, if
needed. :)

That would be nice, if needed. :)

Last year after the PL2005 colors were chosen someone suggested the ACF
pages should have a different background color to make it easy to tell
which set of pages you are looking at. A posted link may take you to the
middle of a PL or ACF web page (IOW - you don't see the headers). I agree.

The PL pages change on an annual basis - the ACF pages don't. I suggest
we use/reserve a light/whitish color for the ACF pages and use *other*
colors as background for the PL pages.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Vegard said:
My five cents on this: The ACF logo is *still* the 'NoMoneyFloppy' image
that was used in John Corliss' F.A.Q 2000-2003...
It was selected by the groups members a long, long time ago...

http://freewarelogo.vegard2.no/nomoneyfloppy.gif

Selections are subject to review by current newsgroup participants. They
do not hold good for for all eternity. ;)

ISTM the ACF contest to select a Freeware logo in December 2004 ("Wings
of freeware" was the winner by a large margin) is a very good reference
for this discussion of an ACF logo. There are quite a few freeware logos
on that web page that could be used as an ACF logo.

http://freewarelogo.vegard2.no/contest.html

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Nicolaas Hawkins

[...]

Using the first illustration on Vegard's page as a sample, I don't see any
reason to change the basic colours but I would increase both the
brightness and saturation by a considerable margin - say 50% or so.

Nicolaas.

.... If, instead of talking to your plants, you yelled at them, would they
still grow, only to be troubled and insecure?

Vegard Krog Petersen

Selections are subject to review by current newsgroup participants. They
do not hold good for for all eternity. ;)
:)

[...]

I'm lost :) Just let me know when you two are finished discussing it,
exactly what I shall ask of Ronald :) :) :)

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Nicolaas Hawkins

I'm lost :) Just let me know when you two are finished discussing it,
exactly what I shall ask of Ronald :) :) :)

Vegard, what I have in mind can be done using a graphics manipulator such
as FastStone without having to trouble Ronald about re-drawing it - unless
he insists that his original design not be altered in any way. Would it
be possible for you to confirm with him that he has no objection? His
original colours would be kept, but simply made brighter and more intense.

Nicolaas.

.... If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is
it considered a hostage situation?

John Corliss

Susan said:
Selections are subject to review by current newsgroup participants. They
do not hold good for for all eternity. ;)

In your opinion only. And your opinion, by definition holds no more
weight than any other participant in this group.

Understand Susan, that by establishing such a precedant you will be
opening the door for a lot more work for YOU to take care of.

'Nuff said.

--
Regards from John Corliss
My current killfile: aafuss, Chrissy Cruiser, Slowhand Hussein, BEN

burnr

In your opinion only. And your opinion, by definition holds no more
weight than any other participant in this group.

Understand Susan, that by establishing such a precedant you will be
opening the door for a lot more work for YOU to take care of.

'Nuff said.

I was the one that asked the group if anyone was interested in submitting
new banners/logos for the acf pages. Vegard has voiced the opinion that the
"No Money Floppy" be used as the ACF logo. He also submitted his own banner
for consideration.

The intent of my request was to solicit participation from the group in
these matters and not rely on any one persons opinion. I don't think asking
the group to participate in deciding what banners and/or logos to use on
the PWH pages is setting a "precedant". If you were to take a poll right
now, I believe the majority of those that care would prefer to participate
in these kinds of things.

Susan Bugher

In your opinion only. And your opinion, by definition holds no more
weight than any other participant in this group.

Understand Susan, that by establishing such a precedant you will be
opening the door for a lot more work for YOU to take care of.

'Nuff said.

ACF newsgroup participants established the review precedent years ago.
"Review and revise" is SOP. Organizations/governments etc. that *don't*
allow change are few and far between.

Good grief, we are in the middle of the annual Pricelessware selection
process. ISTM that's a very odd time to claim there's no *precedent* for
review.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Vegard Krog Petersen

Vegard, what I have in mind can be done using a graphics manipulator such
as FastStone without having to trouble Ronald about re-drawing it - unless
he insists that his original design not be altered in any way. Would it
be possible for you to confirm with him that he has no objection? His
original colours would be kept, but simply made brighter and more intense.

E-mail to Ronald sent :)

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Vegard Krog Petersen

Regarding tf76's second banner (no.7). Just to be a nitpicker - :) -
the term pricelessware were not in use until 2000 (in 1999 it was "The
Big List").

I did some google groups googling...

And Susan: Could you add the dates to your history section at
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/about2005PL.php ?

regards from vegard

--

Vegard said:
Regarding tf76's second banner (no.7). Just to be a nitpicker - :) -
the term pricelessware were not in use until 2000 (in 1999 it was "The
Big List").
And Susan: Could you add the dates to your history section at
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/about2005PL.php ?

yahbut. . . WHY? The Cumulative PL list page shows that info - loud and
clear. ("There's none so blind as those who cannot see.") ;)

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/CumulativePL.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Vegard Krog Petersen

yahbut. . . WHY? The Cumulative PL list page shows that info - loud and
clear. ("There's none so blind as those who cannot see.") ;)

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/CumulativePL.php

Susan

Hmmm. Let's see: Dates & Years in a History section? No, we can't have
that! ;-)

regards from vegard

BTW: I do use glasses... :)