Partition Magic

PanHandler

Is there a freeware equivalent? I've drilled so deep into Google I thought
I'd strike something, but no joy.
TIA

jmatt

Another one.

SwissKnife
http://www.compuapps.com/Download/swissknife/swissknife.htm
http://www.compuapps.com/download/download.htm
Hard drive partition management tool to create, delete, full format and
quick format your partition your IDE hard drives upto 120GB. Supports
Internal, External like parallel, PCMCIA, USB, Firewire interfaces.
Supports creating FAT16,FAT32 and NTFS partitions for the fixed and
removable Disks.
Operating Systems:
Supported operating systems are
Windows 95B
Windows 98 and SE (98 Second Edition)
Windows ME
Windows NT 4.0 Workstation & Server
Windows 2000 Professional and all server versions
Windows XP Home and Professional

-Art-

PanHandler said:
Is there a freeware equivalent? I've drilled so deep into Google I
thought I'd strike something, but no joy. TIA

http://visopsys.org/partlogic/

Partition Logic is a free hard disk partitioning and data management
tool. It can create, delete, format, defragment, resize, and move
partitions and modify their attributes. It can copy entire hard disks
from one to another.

Partition Logic is free software, based on the Visopsys operating
system. It boots from a CD or floppy disk and runs as a standalone
system, independent of your regular operating system. It is intended
to become a free alternative to such commercial programs as Partition
Magic, Drive Image, and Norton Ghost...

-Art- (not Art)

Daniel Mandic

PanHandler said:
Is there a freeware equivalent? I've drilled so deep into Google I
thought I'd strike something, but no joy. TIA

Hi!

'Ranish Partition Manager' is my best freeware partitioner, I have
found for download.
Difficult and an older GUI-style, but it does exactly what it should do.

(look also for XOSL)

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

John Jay Smith

Partition magic is a great software.. it works while you are still in
windows...
and only boots to make changes (if needed).

I have not seen another that can do this.. these others the other posters
say are boot disk parition managers.. in otherwords you have to boot with
them (CD).

dg1261

John Jay Smith said:
Partition magic is a great software.. it works while you are still in
windows...
and only boots to make changes (if needed).

I have not seen another that can do this.. these others the other posters
say are boot disk parition managers.. in otherwords you have to boot with
them (CD).

.... which is the ONLY way you should be working on your partitions. Trying
to tinker with a partition while you are booted into it is like trying to
move a doormat: it's much easier if you're not standing on it.

Partition Magic is an extremely reliable utility when used from DOS, and was
made less reliable with the tacking on of a Windows shell.

As for the suggestion of Ranish Partition Manager... the last time I looked,
RPM could not resize NTFS partitions. Has that changed?

Renan

char *poster[] = Whirled Peas:
Under Gnome it is gparted. I'll second the recommendation, one of the
very best partition managers I've ever seen.

Can it resize NTFS partitions? ALL free partitioning softwares I tried
couldn't resize NTFS.

Renan

char *poster[] = dg1261:
Partition Magic is an extremely reliable utility when used from DOS, and was
made less reliable with the tacking on of a Windows shell.

Partition Magic will run the GUI under Windows, but when you reboot to
actually "commit" the changes, it goes to a DOS mode.

Gary R. Schmidt

Renan said:
char *poster[] = Whirled Peas:
Under Gnome it is gparted. I'll second the recommendation, one of the
very best partition managers I've ever seen.

Can it resize NTFS partitions? ALL free partitioning softwares I tried
couldn't resize NTFS.
Yes.

But it can't re-size Solaris partitions.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

dg1261

Renan said:
Partition Magic will run the GUI under Windows, but when you
reboot to actually "commit" the changes, it goes to a DOS mode.

Well, kind of. Think about it for a moment and you'll realize that it has
to have some way to "remember" what it was doing across a reboot--and not
just one, but two reboots, at that. What it does is setup a fake partition,
sticks a script there so it can remember what it wants to do (hopefully
nothing changes before it gets to run the script), saves the state of
Windows, makes temporary changes to your partition table to boot back into
this fake partition, follows the scripted tasks, makes more temporary
changes to your partition table again to boot back into Windows, recovers
the Windows state where it left off (hopefully all that manipulating in DOS
didn't mess this up), and finally removes the fake partition.

That's not the same thing as running PM from DOS. All that sleight-of-hand
trickery is notoriously fragile and much less reliable than straight from
DOS. I'm not sure why that isn't intuitively obvious to many people.

Terry Russell

Partition Magic is an extremely reliable utility when used from DOS, and
was made less reliable with the tacking on of a Windows shell.

As for the suggestion of Ranish Partition Manager... the last time I
looked, RPM could not resize NTFS partitions. Has that changed?

not
Ranish Partition Manager Version 2.40.00 February 08, 2001
which was the first likely website, maybe not _the_ latest website

AAH

It is not freeware.

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message Partition magic is a great software.. it works while you are still in
windows...
and only boots to make changes (if needed).

I have not seen another that can do this.. these others the other posters
say are boot disk parition managers.. in otherwords you have to boot with
them (CD).

John Jay Smith

there is no dos in XP, but it does work without windows loaded

Renan said:
char *poster[] = dg1261:
Partition Magic is an extremely reliable utility when used from DOS, and
was
made less reliable with the tacking on of a Windows shell.

Partition Magic will run the GUI under Windows, but when you reboot to
actually "commit" the changes, it goes to a DOS mode.

John Jay Smith

You view the world through your own perception of it.
I view the world through the perception of many others.

The main magic of partition magic is that anyone can use it....
its just a program you start in windows and it does the rest.

Therefore, for the masses it is better than the other solutions.
For the geeks.. well.. they can go ahead and write their own program if they
like!

-K