OLD FART IN AUSTRALIA needs Kelly......

Pat Garard

Is there a "Kelly" (Yer Blood's worth Bottlin') in the house?

I am working through Kelly's Korner, Internet Explorer.

I am trying to "re-install" IE.

When I ..
"Tip: Re-install Internet Explorer - Go to Start/Run, and type :
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
%windir%\inf\ie.inf"

A (re)installation begins BUT it requests SP2 location of (eg) IEXPLORE.EXE.
My SP2 CD has only (compressed) IEXPLORE.EX_ - there are a few other
files requested (same problem).

Any Ideas?
Pat Garard
Australia

______________________________________

jeffrey

can you redirect that to look at the i386 folder? I think that will solve
the problem, not sure though.

Jeff

Pat Garard

G'Day Jeffry,

The SP2 CD has NO "i386" folder!
Pat Garard
Australia

______________________________________

jeffrey

Hi,

You need to make a slipstream CD with your original CD and the SP2 update
CD. I don`t have the links that tell you how to do that, but it has been
posted many times here. Are you on the East Coast (Queensland) if so, your
just an hour ahead of me.

Jeff (Okinawa, Japan)

Ramesh [MVP]

Hi Pat,

Insert your slipstreamed SP2 CD if present. Or, point to this path:

C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

"This folder contains files that are required when you add or remove optional Windows components. This folder is also used by Windows File Protection (WFP) to replace damaged or changed protected system files."

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Pat Garard" <apgarardATbigpondPERIODnetPERIODau> wrote in message G'Day Jeffry,

The SP2 CD has NO "i386" folder!
Pat Garard
Australia

______________________________________

Kelly

Hi Pat,

Great to hear from you! :blush:) And, I still remember the post that you made
that comment, so thanks again.

Ramesh pointed the way for you. However, I am just wondering why you are
feeling the need to reinstall IE? Because of error messages, your homepage
has become hijacked, pop-ups, etc.?

Either way and in the meantime, (no harm from doing this), run this combo -
all of them:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update each program, once installed, before running.

Good luck, Pat and keep us posted!

/taskbarplus!.htm

Pat Garard

Hi Kelly,

Lovely to hear from you!

I have two probs, one NOW, the other LATER.

NOW!!
When IE is closed, the process(es) persist(s) (requires "Kill" in Task
Manager).
The persistent IE processes appear to interfere with Windows Explorer
navigation etc.
When closed, WinExplorer briefly displays "about:blank"??
(Before SP2, closing WinExplorer launched IE "about:blank" Page!)
IE "Style" multi-exe Apps (Roxio Easy Media Creator 7) display
"Main Page" but hang when individual EXE is selected.

Very Tense!!!!!! (I need to get across this "slipstream" CD!)

LATER
IE "based" help files fail to display "Active Content" - barred by IE.

I have REMOVED SP2 - purely so that I can re-apply it from the CD -
originally applied from download.
--
Regards and Felicitations,
Pat Garard

______________________________________

Pat Garard

THANK YOU ALL!

I am so pleased to have these respones.

I shall try to work through them. ALL of them.
Pat Garard
Australia

______________________________________

Malke

jeffrey said:
Hi,

You need to make a slipstream CD with your original CD and the SP2
update
CD. I don`t have the links that tell you how to do that, but it has
been
posted many times here. Are you on the East Coast (Queensland) if
so, your just an hour ahead of me.

Jeff (Okinawa, Japan)

Yes, but the main thing that is getting lost in all the good
slipstreaming advice, which Kelly pointed out in her first response, is
that Pat undoubtedly has malware on his computer. The "about:blank" is
a sure giveaway. Pat, you *MUST* clean up your computer *BEFORE* you
try to install SP2. Otherwise, there is a very good chance you are
going to hose (USian tech talk) SP2 and possibly your system. Here are
more malware cleaning steps in addition to what Kelly first said:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
antivirus using updated definitions;
2) remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy
(www.safer-networking.org) and Ad-aware (www.lavasoftusa.com). These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from http://www.cwshredder.net; I
would not install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately,
there are CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. A combination of
HijackThis and About:Buster (http://www.majorgeeks.com) works well in
removing homepage hijackers. Always read the instructions before
running a spyware removal tool. Be sure to update these programs before
running, and it is a good idea to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode.
Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
in Folder Options);
3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).
4) make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update;
5) run a firewall.

If you need more help, please post back.

Malke

Pat Garard

G'Day Again Kelly,
Winsock Fix (Line 349):
That has fixed up IE's "persistent" processes - Thanks!
Roxio still does not work properly, but behaves slightly
differently - I'll just fix that as a separate issue.

Just for your info, I had to apply the fix twice. The first
time _after_ all was reported successful, and I clicked
the "Ok" button that triggers a reboot, an error message
flashed briefly - presumably the shutdown process wiped
it. It said (I think) Error 53 file not found. I just re-applied
the fix with no probs.

I can't really bottle your blood, but as we wander into Oz
Summer Time I will remember you. We are having a Barby
this Arvo and I am an accomplished drinker of Red Wine -
"Kelly's Best"!!
Pat Garard
Australia

______________________________________

Pat Garard

Melbourne!!
and Thanks!
Pat Garard
Australia

______________________________________

Kelly

Glad <grouse> to hear all is well and thanks for the feedback. Haven't
heard it having to be installed twice nor of the error before.

As for your BBQ this afternoon, hope all went well. And Cheers! from my
after supper Chardonnay glass of wine. :blush:) BTW, are Tim Tams served after
a Barby with drinking or is that only for breakfast? Just curious.

Pat Garard

ReSend of Missing Message(?):
[...]

Thank you all again -
I now have a slipstreamed CD!