when my computer starts up, the message "NTLDR is Compressed. Press CTRL +
ALT + DEL to restart" pops up on the screen. When I hit that key
combination, the screen goes right back to that same message after the 'HP
invent' screen comes up. The only time it doesn't do this is whenever I
press and hold the F10 key, in that case my system goes to the 'System
Recovery' mode. I've tried doing the recovery that doesn't completely
recover my system back to it's original state, and still when my system
restarts I get that 'NTLDR' message. I have important documentation
regarding my child custody case in my files and I don't want to lose it.
Could someone please help me. I'd appreciate any time and or effort anyone
can give. I am really desperate at this point. Thank You!
Tanya

A

Alec S.

dukiesma1001 said:
I've got a prob with getting my Windows XP to start up. No matter what I do,
when my computer starts up, the message "NTLDR is Compressed. Press CTRL +
ALT + DEL to restart" pops up on the screen.

Try the tip provided here: http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz/appnote6.html Hopefully the easy two step will be sufficient, but
there is a more detailed procedure if that doesn't work.

G

--
Catch Ya On The Flip Side !!!

Alec S. said:
Try the tip provided here: http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz/appnote6.html Hopefully the easy two step will be sufficient, but
there is a more detailed procedure if that doesn't work.

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

Thank you. I am going to try it , but the only question I have before I do anything is... when exactly do I insert the floppy with the file on it , while the message is on the screen, prior to the message appearing, etc.??? I won't do anything until I hear any response from your end. Thank you again!
Tanya

G

--

dukiesma1001 said:
--

Tanya
I feel stupid cuz the answer I was looking for is stated at the beginning.
Duhhh!!! Unfortunately, I have an even bigger problem, now the message reads
"NTLDR is Missing" and according the your links recommendations for this
problem I need to copy the directory of my C:\i386 file from the Windows XP
installation CD...only prob there is that I bought my computer with the XP
already installed & being a newbie, I didn't know that you should ask for a
copy of the CD at the time of purchase. Am I up the creek without a
paddle??? Somebody please shoot me!!! if you can't help me.
Tanya

A

Alec S.

Thank you. I am going to try it , but the only question I have before I do anything is... when exactly do I insert the floppy
with the file on it , while the message is on the screen, prior to the message appearing, etc.??? I won't do anything until I hear
any response from your end. Thank you again!
I feel stupid cuz the answer I was looking for is stated at the beginning.
Duhhh!!! Unfortunately, I have an even bigger problem, now the message reads
"NTLDR is Missing" and according the your links recommendations for this
problem I need to copy the directory of my C:\i386 file from the Windows XP
installation CD...only prob there is that I bought my computer with the XP
already installed & being a newbie, I didn't know that you should ask for a
copy of the CD at the time of purchase. Am I up the creek without a
paddle??? Somebody please shoot me!!! if you can't help me.

First, is the file actually missing? The file ntldr should be there in C:\, is it? Second, did you try only stripping the
attribute from it as stated?

Third, you are not up a creek by any means. Although fourth, you may have another problem because you should have gotten a Windows
CD. Where did you get your system, a big company, a small shop.? Did you pay for Windows (would it have been cheaper if you had
gotten it without/Windows is on the bill)? Did you at the very least get a certificate of authenticity, Microsoft hologram, CD key,
or something like that? If not, then your copy is an illegal bootleg and Microsoft doesn't like the shop. You may be eligible to
get a free copy of Windows if you tell Microsoft your situation and let them know about the shop (especially if they actually sold
it to you!)

You can check this website: http://ntldrismissing.com/ (seems obvious huh?) It has detailed step by step instructions which you can
do one at a time until it is fixed. You should already have any files you need. If you don't then you'll need the CD-but in an
emergency, you can probably find a copy of them on the Internet, shhh. ;) Microsoft has their own instructions on fixing this (if
the other one didn't help): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314057/.

G

--

Alec S. said:
with the file on it , while the message is on the screen, prior to the message appearing, etc.??? I won't do anything until I hear
any response from your end. Thank you again!

First, is the file actually missing? The file ntldr should be there in C:\, is it? Second, did you try only stripping the
attribute from it as stated?

Third, you are not up a creek by any means. Although fourth, you may have another problem because you should have gotten a Windows
CD. Where did you get your system, a big company, a small shop.? Did you pay for Windows (would it have been cheaper if you had
gotten it without/Windows is on the bill)? Did you at the very least get a certificate of authenticity, Microsoft hologram, CD key,
or something like that? If not, then your copy is an illegal bootleg and Microsoft doesn't like the shop. You may be eligible to
get a free copy of Windows if you tell Microsoft your situation and let them know about the shop (especially if they actually sold
it to you!)

You can check this website: http://ntldrismissing.com/ (seems obvious huh?) It has detailed step by step instructions which you can
do one at a time until it is fixed. You should already have any files you need. If you don't then you'll need the CD-but in an
emergency, you can probably find a copy of them on the Internet, shhh. ;) Microsoft has their own instructions on fixing this (if
the other one didn't help): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314057/.

--
Alec S.

Hi! 1st, no it actually isn't. I was only able to get 1 of the boot diskette files mentioned on the 1st response, onto a disk. The 2 together equal up to 1.51MB and only have 1.38MB floppies. It only states 'missing' when I boot up using the floppy. 2nd...I've never stripped an 'attribute' in my life, but it does sound interesting. 3rd...I'm glad I'm not yet up the creek, though this prob's got me feeling down in the dumps. 4th...I got my HP in March,2002 @ CompUSA. There is a sticker stuck to the outside of my cpu housing that I believe is the cerificate of authentication with a product key on it. My WinXP was included with the price of the computer when I bought it.
I hope that answers all your questions. I do however appreciate all the
questions , I don't feel so hopeless anymore. And Thank You!!!
Tanya F.

A

Alec S.

2nd...I've never stripped an 'attribute' in my life, but it does sound interesting.

But that's the procedure indicated. Open a command prompt (Run->cmd.exe) then type the following:
c:
cd c:\
attrib -C ntldr
exit

That should do the trick. How big is the file (exactly, in bytes) before and after?

I got my HP in March,2002 @ CompUSA. There is a sticker stuck to the outside of my cpu housing that I believe is the cerificate
of authentication with a product key on it. My WinXP was included with the price of the computer when I bought it.

Does it have a hologram or holographic stripe? If so then you're fine legally, but I hate it when they don't give you a disc (it's
not mandatory but it is stupid.) Did they give you any other discs with the system? Check those, sometimes instead of including an
original Windows CD, they will include a special recovery disc which will reinstall the OS with the company's customizations
(company logo, support information, etc.)

G

Hi! You are the bomb!!! That's a good thing. I used your advice about going
to 'ntldrismissing.com' & the instructions were VERY clear & the boot disk
program that I got from that site DID in fact get my system up & running.
Unfortunately, my system won't start on it's own without the disk, & his
instructions on how to render that prob are a little unclear. Only thing I
need to do now is email the programmer & ask him a few questions that I'm
unsure about. Otherwise, you were right on the money with your suggestion.
(((Alec S.))) One other thing that happened once my system restarted, it
performed a partial system recovery, & I lost everything I had in 'My
Documents'. Luckily for me I put the most important documents in a folder on
my Desktop. Once again, I'd like to thank you for your time and effort, and
thanks to you I still have my journal that I kept to use at my child custody
hearing against my abusive husband. Thank You!!! Thank You!!!
Sincerely, Tanya F. aka Dukiesma

A

Alec S.

dukiesma1001 said:
Hi! You are the bomb!!! That's a good thing. I used your advice about going
to 'ntldrismissing.com' & the instructions were VERY clear & the boot disk
program that I got from that site DID in fact get my system up & running.
Unfortunately, my system won't start on it's own without the disk, & his
instructions on how to render that prob are a little unclear. Only thing I
need to do now is email the programmer & ask him a few questions that I'm
unsure about. Otherwise, you were right on the money with your suggestion.
(((Alec S.))) One other thing that happened once my system restarted, it
performed a partial system recovery, & I lost everything I had in 'My
Documents'. Luckily for me I put the most important documents in a folder on
my Desktop. Once again, I'd like to thank you for your time and effort, and
thanks to you I still have my journal that I kept to use at my child custody
hearing against my abusive husband. Thank You!!! Thank You!!!
Sincerely, Tanya F. aka Dukiesma

Glad that you're up and running. Don't count you files out just yet. If you remember any of the filenames, you can do a search for
them in case they still exist somewhere (they may have been moved).

Open a command prompt (Run->cmd.exe), then type
dir "c:\###" /s/a/p
where ### is a filename. If you only remember part of a filename, for example "custody" from the file "custody_evidence.doc", then
use this:
dir "c:\*custody*" /s/a/p
The asterisks mean "anything here (including nothing)".

If you get any results, you can look at the folder listed (next to "Directory of") to see where your files are now.

I'm sure it's not the case, it's more of a movie scenario, but there have been instances where people have sent viruses and stuff to
mess up the computers of people that they are having conflicts with. In fact some spyware companies advertise their software with
the slogan "spy on your boyfriend", or "find out who your wife has been talking to". If your husband is good at computers and has
had access to yours or has sent you some email with attachments, you might want to keep an eye out (it may even help you if you can
prove that he tried to sabotage your case). Again, it's probably not the situation here, but it has happened before.

G

--

Alec S. said:
Glad that you're up and running. Don't count you files out just yet. If you remember any of the filenames, you can do a search for
them in case they still exist somewhere (they may have been moved).

Open a command prompt (Run->cmd.exe), then type
dir "c:\###" /s/a/p
where ### is a filename. If you only remember part of a filename, for example "custody" from the file "custody_evidence.doc", then
use this:
dir "c:\*custody*" /s/a/p
The asterisks mean "anything here (including nothing)".

If you get any results, you can look at the folder listed (next to "Directory of") to see where your files are now.

I'm sure it's not the case, it's more of a movie scenario, but there have been instances where people have sent viruses and stuff to
mess up the computers of people that they are having conflicts with. In fact some spyware companies advertise their software with
the slogan "spy on your boyfriend", or "find out who your wife has been talking to". If your husband is good at computers and has
had access to yours or has sent you some email with attachments, you might want to keep an eye out (it may even help you if you can
prove that he tried to sabotage your case). Again, it's probably not the situation here, but it has happened before.

--
Alec S.

Will you marry me??? I've enrolled in a local college to earn my A.S. degree in Computer Informational Science, and everything so far that you've told me has been extremely helpful, useful and informative. I'll be the Belle of the Ball on Monday in class, cuz I can finally share something that I've learned with the rest of the class. I won't be embarrassed, for I know your suggestions really have worked. Once again, Thank you!!! (((Alec S.)))
With Regards,
Tanya F.
aka Dukiesma

A

Alec S.

dukiesma1001 said:
I've enrolled in a local college to earn my A.S. degree in Computer Informational Science, and everything so far that you've told
me has been extremely helpful, useful and informative. I'll be the Belle of the Ball on Monday in class, cuz I can finally share
something that I've learned with the rest of the class. I won't be embarrassed, for I know your suggestions really have worked.
Once again, Thank you!!! (((Alec S.)))

Glad to help. Did you find the files?

Ask a Question