My god some people are slow.

jonah

You may very well be correct, however, I cannot however fathom how making
snide remarks alieviate the problem

It does not help the OP at all other than drawing attention to the
fact that they have done something very silly which may be a good
lesson to learn, it was for me in my early struggles with Windows. I
don't recall NGs being particularly nice to me in those days I did
stupid things and deserved what I got along with the help which always
turned up from somebody. The sarcasm & abuse I got was very
motivational in its own way and very effective.

I asked in an earlier post, why MSFT did not include a proper
"backout" option which would have made life much easier for all
concerned because this fiasco could not possibly have been unforseen.
Like the revert to 98SP from XP that was included in XP when you
upgraded.

The outcome of that question was technical and other reasons but still
begs the question - whats the windows.old folder for?

Anyway I have taken your advice some time ago and given up answering
the dumb questions so I can concerntrate on figuring Vista out myself,
mostly anyway.

:cool:

Jonah

DJ Bjorklund

Most of the sales will be pre-installed on new computers as usual. After
market sales, until far later when businesses adopt them, aren't a major
item. Most people are satisfied with what they have until they are ready
for a new computer. I marvel at the number of businesses that report to
still be on Win95.

I'm in manufacturing management, and baby if it ain't broke don't fix
it. That being said, our little company is on XP Pro thank God. To
your point though, I'd want to stay exactly there until Vista presents
a good reason to business to move.

Chad Harris

Tom Scales said:
Now THAT would be impressive. By definition, you can only have ONE Darwin
Award moment in your life. If you're having more than one, then we've
witnessed the second coming.

Tom

P4C800-E Deluxe Bios. 1023
Intel 3.2C GHz HTT
OCZ Dual Channel Gold 2GB DDR PC-3200
Asus ATI Radeon 9600XT, 128 DDR
Antec 550W True 2.0
Thermaltake Shark case, Silver 2 120mm case fans
2 Seagate 120GB 7200RPM SATAII Drives Raid 0
1 Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM SATA (Backup storage)
Shuttle CR40 16X DVD Combo Drive
Logitech G5 Optical Mouse, and Media Elite Keyboard
XP PRO SP2

Ok, some of you, whos all knowing you needed help too get to your knowledge
level also, now if we can get back to what this is all about, and thats to
help, no matter how stupid it may seem, It's evident in the questions that
they do need help. so either help or keep your negitive comments to yourself.
no one asked to be lambasted by you or anyone else. If this is what i can
expect from this forum, and thats people not helping then this is hopless and
fruitless to even ask anything. besides i do get what your frustration is,
but some that don't have a clue need one, so help.

PS. I was once clueless about computers, as you can see from my signiture
above, this computer was built by me, its serviced by me, the whole shot, and
it runs very well, all done by a once clueless person, who asked questions
and my questions were answered by people who ANSWERED them for me, it called
helping. get a clue.

SO LETS GET BACK TO HELPING, THINGS WILL RUN SMOOTHER!!!!!!!!!!

Chad Harris

LOL Tom By whose definition? Darwin's--some monkey's? I get the Second
Coming and 666 and all that stuff mixed up. Is the Second Coming when the
NY Times publishes for the second time the gov wire taps you and has your
bank transactions on their hard drives?

The New Creationists who want to label text books that Evolution is only a
theory, and fight about it in the Eleventh Circuit? If that's the case by
definition then you'd want your Darwin moment to be a great one,

I've seen a whole lot of Darwin moments on the floor/committees of the US
Senate/House and the West Wing.

BTW if there ain't no evolution how come it does be that my dog's big hand
has them same bones as mine? The metacarpals are frigging identicle--among
several other parts--you know the mnemonic for the metacarpals don'tcha:
"Never lower Tillie's pants; grandma might come home"--I done cleaned it up
for a family newsgroup from RedmondHardandSoft.

CH

P4C800-E Del Bios. 1016
Intel 3.2 GHz@220 FSB
OCZ EL Gold 1GB(512x2) PC-4000
Asus ATI Radeon 9600XT
SLK_947 Copper,92 mm
Vantec "Tornado"
Antec 550W
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM SATA Drive
XP PRO

Steve said:
I can't believe what I'm reading here. If you don't know how to do the
following you shouldn't mess around with operating systems (especially beta
version):

Paritioning
Dual booting
DVD ISO buring
Writing burn CD Keys
Changing BIOS settings
[...]

Naw, Mark you didn't get flamed. It was part of a good time. Also there is
probably a distinction between the playful flame to get a response and the
"I'm gonna burn your house down and all the people in it" flames. I liked
it when my friend explained to me though that if you take out 6 key bridges
in the US you can actually bring commerce to a hault.

CH

Chad Harris

There is plenty of help going on here despite the fact that many of us have
to get board certified in oral surgery to extract the problems over several
posts.

CH

Mark D. VandenBerg

That would be the group that actually does give out an annual award to the
person who accidently kills him/herself in the most spectacularly stupid
way. To even be nominated, you have to be very creatively dead.

This award has been handed out now for many years and is actually quite
well-known. Some of the past winners are the fellow who used a stick of
dynamite to make an ice fishing hole and the fellow who strapped a
solid-fuel booster rocket to the roof of his car.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

"Chad Harris" <Bushisamoron.net> wrote in message
[...]

Oh, trust me; I'm just here for comic relief myself!

"Chad Harris" <Bushisamoron.net> wrote in message
Naw, Mark you didn't get flamed. It was part of a good time. Also there is
probably a distinction between the playful flame to get a response and the
"I'm gonna burn your house down and all the people in it" flames. I liked
it when my friend explained to me though that if you take out 6 key bridges
in the US you can actually bring commerce to a hault.

CH

Tom Scales

The Darwin Awards are given to someone who has 'removed themselves' from the
gene pool (in other words, they're dead, dead, dead).

So, if they get the award, they're dead.

How would the get another?

www.darwinawards.com

Tom

Colin Barnhorst

Exactly.

Larry Hodges said:
Microsoft said before you downloaded it:
"Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT
professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of
Windows Vista."

Further it says:
"Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel
comfortable with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and
general
PC troubleshooting."

Colin Barnhorst

One from the 19th century was a drunken Kiowa brave who tied the rope around
his waste and then lassoed a Kansas Pacific locomotive smokestack as the
train went racing by (in the Rocky Mountain News archives someplace).

Colin Barnhorst

Posthumously?

Tom Scales said:
The Darwin Awards are given to someone who has 'removed themselves' from
the gene pool (in other words, they're dead, dead, dead).

So, if they get the award, they're dead.

How would the get another?

www.darwinawards.com

Tom

Colin Barnhorst

95% preinstalled.

John Barnes said:
Most of the sales will be pre-installed on new computers as usual. After
market sales, until far later when businesses adopt them, aren't a major
item. Most people are satisfied with what they have until they are ready
for a new computer. I marvel at the number of businesses that report to
still be on Win95.

Colin Barnhorst

Proctology might be a good pursuit as well.

Chad Harris said:
There is plenty of help going on here despite the fact that many of us
have to get board certified in oral surgery to extract the problems over
several posts.

CH

Chad Harris

Colin--

I have long tried to get my hands on the figures that would break down
Windows XP sales as to pre-installed, retailed, enterprise ect. If you ever
have a link to a list of those figures I'd really like to see them. I can
collect bits and pieces from different articles on the web. Maybe if I
drilled Gartner some way I could find it. I saw a slide from MSFT that
projected 475 million Vista PC installs within 24 months by "industry
forecasts", and an upgradable installed base of 250 million pcs. I'm not
sure what that means because I was under the impression there were about 500
million OEM preinstallations of XP. Maybe it's a projection of how many
people will be upgrading XP to Vista.

CH

jonah

Naw, Mark you didn't get flamed. It was part of a good time. Also there is
probably a distinction between the playful flame to get a response and the
"I'm gonna burn your house down and all the people in it" flames. I liked
it when my friend explained to me though that if you take out 6 key bridges
in the US you can actually bring commerce to a hault.

CH

Watch it Chad Big Brother is definately watching you. We had one guy
shot by the cops in London a few weeks back on the merest suspicion he
was making very nasty stuff in his house.

These 6 bridges?

Can't be the Golden Gate so must be several mid - west Mississippi,
Colarado, Platte Rivers? Am I on the right track? I spose if I looked
at a map I could figure it out. I as an Englishman learnt the States
and State Capitals by heart as a boy because I just love the names.

Sad eh?

Doing a Fly Drive next May from Seattle to San Fransisco down the
Pacific Coast Highway, never been to Yankland before but I am really
looking forward to it. Assuming they let me in at immigration that is.

:cool:

Jonah

Colin Barnhorst

I'm going on several comments by moderators in the TB program chats about
setup and migration (those are the system builder folks).

Chad Harris

Colin--

I know I'm missing this data somewhere. People from MSFT say to me all the
time--"oh yeah" it's all over our sites but it's not and when I ask them to
come up with it they never can. I guarantee you that they have it. Their
OEM sales division has it sliced and diced on a nano- molecular level. I'd
just like to see how many people they are stranding with no valid means of
using Win RE. If I continue to look, I'll probably come up with most of it.
The setup people /file system/recovery people are good resources/ and
terribly bright but they actually get a ridiculously sparse amount of
information across and they have literally dragged their butts on getting
anything substantive on any of MSFT's sites and believe me I have read it
all.

The so-called product guide had 2 sentences on Win RE.

But what I was driving at Colin when I asked for information was a pie chart
that would show how much XP is installed OEM preinstall; how much retail;
and how much in different enterprise scenarios. I've seen Vista projections
actually double the slide I quoted that MSFT has depending on who at MSFT
was doing the presenting. Those are projections but I imagine that after
some time, Vista will have at least the circulation XP does--many are
betting adoption is going to be slower than MSFT realizes.

Those Vista figures aren't going to impact most of us who have too much fun
with Windows not to use it.

If you do come across a list of XP figures like I described though, I'd like
to see it. The chats you allude to are good but I can show you dozens of
crisp answers that say next to nothing on them. 3 word terse answers that
aren't whether by intention or not.

CH