Windows XP msmsgs.exe - application error

Reaction score
Please Help!

I have a Dell Optiplex (2.8GHz, 1GB ram) running XP Pro. It has been running fine. I run Semantec AV, Spybot and AdAware at least once a week. I also run other utilities to keep my system defraged and my reg clean.

A few days ago, I got an adobe popup to update my acrobat (I run Acrobat Pro 7) to 7.0.9. I ran the install. It seemed to install properly. It asked for a reboot, which I did. After that, I am now continually getting the same popup every time I open IE. I have also started getting the following message: "msmsgs.exe - application error. The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000",The memory could not be"read". Click on ok to terminate the program".

In addition, I am now getting a number of repeating errors if I run Norton WinDoctor. Also, I cannot open Norton DiskDoctor . . . I get a 2 second flash of an error message and then the program closes.

I do not use MS Messenger. I disabled it, but I am still having problems.

Still nothing on the virus or spyware/trojan scans . . .

HELP!!!!
confused.gif

Bob

Reaction score
Similar Problem

I had similar problems when I brought down Adobe Reader 7. Affected a whole host of other programs. In the end I uninstalled it and then re-installed, which seemed to clear the problems everywher else.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, msmsgs.exe, another "item" of XP that I just love to nuke. ;)

As I do not use Adobe Reader, try bagsterbtd's suggestion first. :thumb:

Now, if you realy want to nuke msmsgs then ... Start button, Search, All Files & Folders, type in msmsgs ... the one you want is in Program Files\Messenger, ignore any others ... right click and rename it to msmsgs.sav.

Done! no more msmsgs. ;)

As for Norton, sorry, it is a Virus with a mind of its own ... IMHO

:user:

Reaction score
Well, I ended up going to Control Panel and doing a "repair" instead of uninstall/reinstall. I then ran Norton WinDoctor and corrected a couple of problems. After a reboot, everything seems to be working fine (knock on wood). I am not holding my breath, but I think it is fixed!

I haven't tried running Norton DiskDoc, yet, though . . .

Thanks for the advice, bagsterbtd and muckshifter!!!

Ask a Question