Maxtor Slave

Reaction score
Originally my pc had the maxtor(40 gig) as a primary and when i got a new 120 gig Western Digital drive i tried switching the WD one as the primary. I ran into a bunch of problems, but somehow i managed to get the WD as a primary. For the time being i just set the maxtor to the side and thought i would put it as the slave later on.

So i started out by just plugging in the ribbon cable and power cable. It gave me some errors while booting and wouldnt go any further(If you were to look at the hard drive the jumper was on the far left going vertical). I read the maxtor website and looked for the jumper settings for slave. I removed all jumpers and my pc succesfully booted. In the black screen that loads it showed that I had 2 harddrives connected. One as primary master and one as primary slave.

Before my desktop loaded (im using Windows 98 SE) it gave the little "Building device driver for unknown hardware" It finished that and when I clicked on my computer i still only have 1 hard drive listed.

Edit: I also have a cd-rw and cdrom hooked up if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
120GB in win98, good luck!

first of all jdawg, i'd recommend using the 40GB as your primary (install o/s and apps) then install the 120GB as slave (for storage), this way it's quicker for windows to find system files as there's less area to look in.

secondly windows 98 will only support a maxium hard disk drive capacity of 32GB (don't quote me on exact figure) one way round it is to download this tool from Maxtor. (when running this tool you may loose and data stored on the drive) which will break the 32GB capacity barrier.

Hope that helps.

ps, if you go with the suggestion config of the 40GB as the master then you'll need to set the jumpers correctly.

regards and welcome to PCReview.

James

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far. But the 120 gig works already, perfectly.(Win98SE supports up to 137 GB) It would be easier to set the maxtor as a slave since playing with jumpers is not my thing. The bios is set to Autodetect for everything. When it starts up it displays me as having 2 harddrives(where it lists IRQs and the devices i have connected). I must be close to having it set up.

Reaction score
have you partioned the new drive and windows won't see a drive without at least one partition?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What ribbon cable are you using, and how have you connected them? It is recommended practice to connect the cable such that the master device is at the end of the cable, with the slave device on the inner connector.

That means you must mount your drives accordingly, so that the cable will reach far enough to connect it in this manner. However, with normal 40 wire IDE ribbon cables (ATA33 or normal PIO) this is not critical. In most cases, you can hook up the cable the way it best fits, according to where the master and slave devices are mounted in the bays. If you're too lazy, or unable to change how the drives are mounted it is far better to connect the cable in this manner than to severely twist or kink to make the connections. It is also of significance to note, that IDE ribbon cables should be a maximum of 18 inches in length (according to specifications), to minimize attenuation (weakening) of the signal. However, 24 inch ribbon cables are available and should not pose a problem if you need that extra reach.

This does not apply to ATA66 or ATA100 interfaces that use the more sophisticated 80 wire ribbon cables. The connectors on the ribbon cable are colour coded, and we must pay careful attention to where they are connected.

• The blue connector must connect to the interface connector on the motherboard, or ATA66/100 controller card.
  • The black connector must connect to the master device.
  • The grey connector must connect to the slave device (if present)
The devices are jumpered in the same manner, in a Master/Slave relationship or Cable Select can be used if supported (but not a mix of the two on the same cable).

If you remove the old drive and install the new drive, the number of drives in your PC does not change and drive letters are not changed. However, if you add a second hard drive to your PC, most likely one drive letter will change.

For example, before you had a hard drive C and a CD-ROM drive D. After adding the new drive, your PC will assign the letter D to the extra hard drive and move the CD-ROM drive letter up one so that you now have a hard drive C, a hard drive D, and a CD-ROM drive E.

Of course this is normal and there is nothing wrong with this order. But please note that you may have to reinstall some programs (only the ones that don't run after this procedure) that run from the CD-ROM drive, as the drive letters are now shifted. As an example, if you installed Quake II on your PC when the CD-ROM was the D drive, Quake now expects you to insert the program CD into drive D every time you want to play the game. However, after the drive letter shift the CD-ROM is E, but Quake will still look in D. There are some programs out there that supposedly can search your registry and configuration files and change any reference to the D drive to point to the E drive instead. But due to some bad experiences with these types of programs I recommend that you rather reinstall the application on top of itself from the CD as this method is much safer.

Reaction score
Yes i got the gray ribbon cable and the master has the black end while the slave has the gray end. (the master is closest to the motherboard and the slave is on the end of the cable)

Reaction score
OK, what is showing in Device Manager? What happens if you boot to a DOS command prompt? Can you call up both HDDs then?

Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of the device manager

As for DOS command prompt i cannot see any other drives besides C:\(master harddrive) and A:\(Floppy)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am surprised to see Type 47 as the descriptor for your drives in Device Manager. They are usually more manufacture-specific than that. Anyway, the BIOS is seeing both controllers, but that doesn't mean that the drives are functioning properly. This could still be a problem with master/slave jumpers and I don't understand why you are having problems configuring the jumpers. There is usually a little diagram on the hard drive showing the correct links. You can't just whip 'em all out and hope for the best.

If you're not seeing the slave in DOS, and it is formatted, partitioned, not using NTFS file system and correctly cabled, it only leaves jumpers as the possible cause of your woe.

If you have Partition Magic, try running it to see whether the drive is shown as present, but is not assigned a drive letter. This has happened to me using NT & XP under NTFS, but I don't recall it with 98SE. PM allows you to dynamically assign a drive letter.

Reaction score
Ok im going to try to play with jumpers after i fail with partition magic. But for now, since i have partition magic ill play around. It sees both drives but i can't figure out how to name the drive.

Edit: Im using v8.0 of Partition Magic
When i right click on my main drive C, it will let me re-label it. However when i right click on the other drive it sees it wont let me label. Im gathering its the jumpers.

2nd Edit: Labeling doesn't change the drives letter. I still haven't figured out how to assign a letter to a drive. Also i placed the jumpers in place for the slave setting it said on the case. I used 2 different jumpers since i only had one. I dont know if that could effect it working.

3rd Edit: http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/quick_specs/fireball_3_quick_specs.pdf
According to that URL my jumper settigns were correct. (No jumpers at all) Now to figure how to try to assign drive letter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Under Operations>Advanced, there is an option 'Change Drive letter'. Highlight the drive to change to make the option active.

Oh, I see you've done that and it won't let you.

What is the full status of the drive in PM? Does it show as Drive2? Give the whole line of data as it applies to this drive. is Size correct? Is the partition allocated? is it a primary or logical partition, Is it active or hidden,etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well the way it appears on the main screen is funny. There appears 2 disks. Both saying correct sizes. However below it it displays the sizes wrong. One is 120 gig and the other is 40 gig. Here is a screenshot of what I see.
Partition.jpg

But when I open partition info it gives me an error with the drive.(40 gig slave)
"Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
ucEndCylinder (14588) must be less than 4998."

Reaction score
The fault lies with the file system. It needs to be FAT16 or FAT32 to be read under Windows 98SE. I haven't the faintest idea what Type 07 file system is. I note that the capacity for both drives is given as 120Gb, when your slave should be 40Gb.Hence the error message. Something fishy here. Forget the jumpers, or lack of them, on the slave for now. How are the jumpers set up on the primary master drive?

.....AND... I have just noticed that you have two active partitions, which is not allowed. I suspect that the same drive is being reported twice due to some configuration error....

...Or... refer to this link:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...agic&ver=8.x&src=sg&pcode=npmagic&svy=&csm=no

Last edited:
Reaction score
As for the jumper settings on the main drive. It's set as a single: http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp
On that page you can see an example (Eide drive greater than 2.1 gigs)
>I think i would need to set it from a Single to a Dual master.

As for the 137 GB drive error(Error 109). It shouldnt occur with my 40 gig harddrive like it is.
On the symantec site you gave me it says:

"You have an add-on PCI hard drive controller card
This error can sometimes occur in conjunction with add-on PCI hard drive controller cards when the controller does not read the drive information properly. In these cases, contact the manufacturer of the controller card, or connect the drive directly to the motherboard on the main IDE channel.
Note: In most cases, unless you have added an extra hard drive controller card to your system yourself, you probably do not have an add-on card. Most commercial systems come with built-in hard drive controllers."

In the device manager picture above, my PCI card is not installed properly, this could also be the problem with the slave not being detected. If it is the PCI card, i don't know where to start to install it properly.

Reaction score
The chances of you having an add-on PCI hard-drive controller are remote. The PCI card must be something else, possibly a network or USB device. That's a red herring, so forget it until you find some other device that doesn't work.

If you have two drives the Master must not be set as a single, as the manufacturer's blurb states.Set your 120Gb drive as a dual master and I think you'll find the problem is solved.

Reaction score
Ok, i set it to dual master, and yet.. it still im not seeing the second hard drive..Im guessing the slave is messed up and I will have to just dump it. Thanks for all the help you gave me.

Ask a Question