problems with pc recognising slave drive

Reaction score
Heres the problem

I have connected a Maxtor hard drive to my pc to operate as a slave, the purpose of this is so I can transfer files from this to my existing quantum hard drive.

I have changed the jumper settings on the Maxtor (as per manual) to slave mode and have connected to the same ide cable as my existing master drive (in the correct sequence)

The problem I have is that when I boot up, the pc only recognises the master original drive, my computer does not see the Maxtor slave

Ive looked at the hardware settings in control panel and under hard drive controllers it has a second hard drive ide device listed but with a yellow exclamation mark next to and says that it is connected but not recognised.

Any suggestions.

Do I need any drivers installed for it too be recongised or am I missing some thing

thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No "drivers" are required. What operating system are you using?

Have you set the BIOS of your motherboard to "Auto" for ALL the IDE channels? Who is the manufacturer of the board?

Are you using an 80col cable? (Black is master, Grey is slave & Blue connects to the MB, it could be orange)

Is the master drive "jumpered" as master?

Double-clicking on the "yellow exclamation" should offer you some reason as to why it's not being recognised.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As Mucks said really, is the drive recognised in the BIOS?

Also, what motherboard are you using? It may help if you install/reinstall any motherboard drivers such as Via 4-in-1's or the Nvidia 2 drivers. This may help the IDE ports be recognised. Although if you're using XP, that OS should see them.

Is there an operating system on the slave disk?

Reaction score
it's all fun!

and again as mucks says, i'd most likely that the jumper settings are set incorrectly.

if they are set correctly then try reinstalling IDE channels and the bus master then the HDD itself, reboot and see what happens.

all gravy

Ask a Question