Link: Wikipad

Mark Carter

An interesting program that I'm playing with is called wikipad, which is
a personal wiki, and doesn't have a server or any of that gumpf. It
looks like a neat way of organising notes. I've done a Google, and it
appears not to have been mentioned in this newsgroup - so I thought I'd
bring it to everyone's attention.

http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/

From the website:

wikidPad is a Wiki-like notebook for storing your thoughts, ideas, todo
lists, contacts, or anything else you can think of to write down.

What makes wikidPad different from other notepad applications is the
ease with which you can cross-link your information. Links in a wiki are
created by typing in WikiWords. A WikiWord is any mixed case word typed
into the editor. TodoList or JohnDoe are example WikiWords. The term
wiki means "quick" in Hawaiian, and wikis are all about quickly linking
your information together. Wikis are not a new concept, in fact there
are many web based wiki servers available.

wikidPad is a real-time wiki
wikidPad is not a web server, or application server, or groupware
solution. wikidPad is a standalone notepad like application, albeit
notepad on steroids. wikidPad is like an IDE for your thoughts.

IDE for your thoughts
Software developers have grown accustomed to certain features from their
editing environment that make their jobs easier. Features like
auto-completion, outline views, incremental search, easy source code
navigation. IDE's that provide these features can greatly increase
developer productivity. wikidPad attempts to utilize some of these
features to address the problem of personal information management.

Personal Information Management
How do you manage all of the random bits of information in your personal
and professional life? Word documents, text files, Microsoft Outlook
folders/notes. If you're an expert user maybe you have a weblog, or a
personal database, or possibly an outlining application. Where do you
track your wifes favorite food, your bosses kids names, your personal
todo list, the name of the movie you just read a review of, the name of
the book a friend recommended. wikidPad was created to address this
issue of personal information management. It provides a place to manage
the massive amounts of information you have stuffed in your head, on
stickies, or on your computer.

Terry Russell

Mark Carter said:
An interesting program that I'm playing with is called wikipad, which is
a personal wiki, and doesn't have a server or any of that gumpf. It
looks like a neat way of organising notes. I've done a Google, and it
appears not to have been mentioned in this newsgroup - so I thought I'd
bring it to everyone's attention.

http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/

immediately pegs to 100% resouces use then shortly thereafter reboots
same after reboot

the installer hangs when uninstalling.

Simone Murdock

immediately pegs to 100% resouces use then shortly thereafter reboots
same after reboot
the installer hangs when uninstalling.

No problems here (XP).

Simon
"Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try."
by Yoda, Jedi Master (from anonymous poster)
( remove/togli 'FalselinK' to reply/per rispondere )

El Gee

An interesting program that I'm playing with is called wikipad, which
is a personal wiki, and doesn't have a server or any of that gumpf. It
looks like a neat way of organising notes. I've done a Google, and it
appears not to have been mentioned in this newsgroup - so I thought
I'd bring it to everyone's attention.

http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/

What I really want is Tomboy. I run it on my Linux box but miss it on
Windows.

This however looks pretty good. Better than treepad?

El Gee - www (dot) mistergeek (dot) com <><

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?
He had trouble sleeping at night, wondering if there was a dog.
Remove yourhat to reply ... but it may take a while.

Mark Carter

mike said:
No,- overcomplicated.

Treepad's the best at doing what it does best ;-)

OTOH, YMMV

I tried treepad some time ago, but gave up on it for one reason or
another. Wikipad does export plain text files, which some might consider
an advantage over Treepad.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that wikipad is overcomplicated - it seemed
fairly straightforward to set up and operate to me.

Again, YMMV, software can go down as well as up, etc..

Susan Bugher

Mark said:
I tried treepad some time ago, but gave up on it for one reason or
another. Wikipad does export plain text files, which some might consider
an advantage over Treepad.

Huh??????????? FYI. . .

Treepad can export as text, HTML or Treepad files. Treepad can import from text, other Treepad files
and comma separated files.

If you need more export options, simply import a Treepad file into Keynote. There you can export
each individual node as a separate text file - all in one swell foop - etc. etc. etc.

OTOH. . .

http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/

The only export feature I see listed under "WikidPad Features" is "Export to HTML". . .

I don't see any import features on the list. . .

BTW - the name of the app is "WikidPad". . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Michael Laplante

Susan Bugher said:
Huh??????????? FYI. . .

Treepad can export as text, HTML or Treepad files. Treepad can import from
text, other Treepad files and comma separated files.

If you need more export options, simply import a Treepad file into
Keynote. There you can export each individual node as a separate text
file - all in one swell foop - etc. etc. etc.

I must agree with Susan. I've tried freeform text/ information database
organizers (including WikidPad) up the wazoo and I always return to Treepad
Lite.

Ross

No problems here (XP).

Simon
"Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try."
by Yoda, Jedi Master (from anonymous poster)
( remove/togli 'FalselinK' to reply/per rispondere )

I've heard that the "Wikidpad Compact" fork is easier on resources (so
its recommended for Win9x),

Ross

Terry Russell

I've heard that the "Wikidpad Compact" fork is easier on resources (so
its recommended for Win9x),

It says windows, no version specified, no checks.
Nothing but the sound of lemming defenestration.

mike ring

Mark Carter said:
I tried treepad some time ago, but gave up on it for one reason or
another. Wikipad does export plain text files, which some might consider
an advantage over Treepad.

*My* treepad's full of jucy bits of info that I've cut and pasted into it,
that I mainly refer to and sometimes cut and paste out of.

If it's not enough that the gen is parked under specific nodes I can cross
refer by typing in a word and seeing what comes up....

I can back it up to a floppy, though I understand Susan needs a 60Meg USB
drive. ;-))
I wouldn't necessarily agree that wikipad is overcomplicated - it seemed
fairly straightforward to set up and operate to me.
I'm sure Wikidpad is good for many things, but there's *no* replacement for
treepad lite, even it's estimable equivalents are IMO overspecified

(and my brain is under-specified)

mike

Klaatu

An interesting program that I'm playing with is called wikipad, which
is a personal wiki, and doesn't have a server or any of that gumpf. It
looks like a neat way of organising notes. I've done a Google, and it
appears not to have been mentioned in this newsgroup - so I thought
I'd bring it to everyone's attention.

http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/

Along the same lines, except there's no software to install, is
TiddlyWiki at http://www.tiddlywiki.com.

Susan Bugher

mike said:
*My* treepad's full of jucy bits of info that I've cut and pasted into it,
that I mainly refer to and sometimes cut and paste out of.
I can back it up to a floppy,

back *IT* up???

I have many Treepad files (for different subjects).
though I understand Susan needs a 60Meg USB
drive. ;-))

You know me too well. That's a good guess on the total - I'll soon need something bigger. . . ;)
I'm sure Wikidpad is good for many things, but there's *no* replacement for
treepad lite

Agree. :) :) :)

Susan (info junkie) (Treepad lover)
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Little Girl

Hey there,

You know me too well. That's a good guess on the total - I'll soon need something bigger. . . ;)

Along similar lines, I wonder if you'll know the answer to this:

I'm using Treepad Lite v2.9.5. The comparison chart on the homepage
says the maximum recommended text database size for Treepad Lite is 15
Mb.

If you press F1 in Treepad, the User Guide (from v2.9.4) says, "In
general, TreePad documents of 5-10 Mb are safe if you have at least 32
Mb of RAM and your Windows Virtual Memory settings are reasonable."

My beloved, prized, treasured, cherished (I could keep this up for a
while <g>) alt.comp.freeware file (a labor of love for many years now)
is currently 6.42 megs. Since it sometimes grows by leaps and bounds
(depending on how much of what's posted in here I absolutely MUST have
<g>), I divided the file into two pieces rather than taking a chance
on exceeding Treepad's limits. And I have a feeling this particular
file will end up in many, many pieces eventually. :)

What do you do? Have you picked a certain size you just don't let your
files exceed, and is it a happy medium of the above numbers? Or have
you tested it somehow and found out for sure?

I know my nodes can only be somewhere in the neighborhood of 65,000
characters (discovered the exact limit by luckily immediately
realizing I hadn't gotten a full paste), so any that are larger get
divided up into multiple nodes. Now if there was a magic number I
could use for the full tree size, life would be perfect. :)

Susan Bugher

Little said:
My beloved, prized, treasured, cherished (I could keep this up for a
while <g>) alt.comp.freeware file (a labor of love for many years now)
is currently 6.42 megs. Since it sometimes grows by leaps and bounds
(depending on how much of what's posted in here I absolutely MUST have
<g>), I divided the file into two pieces rather than taking a chance
on exceeding Treepad's limits. And I have a feeling this particular
file will end up in many, many pieces eventually. :)

What do you do? Have you picked a certain size you just don't let your
files exceed, and is it a happy medium of the above numbers? Or have
you tested it somehow and found out for sure?

I do continuous testing. . . ;)

I keep adding to the "software.hjt" file (aka ACF program info file plus saved posts and notes) and
hoping it won't break. (None of my other Treepad files are anywhere near as big.)

I figure my Treepad backup file is insurance. If I lose the "software.hjt" file I'll only lose the
data I've added since the last backup.

When I'm feeling particularly brave I check the file size. . . . it's currently around 13 MB (Win
XP). arghhhhhhhhh. . .

I tried splitting the software file a while back - and found that having the data in two files was a
real PITA so combined them again. If I do succeed in exceeding Treepad's limits I'll do a (much
needed) clean-up rather than split the file - till then that chore will probably stay near the
bottom of my to-do list. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Michael Laplante

I know my nodes can only be somewhere in the neighborhood of 65,000
characters (discovered the exact limit by luckily immediately
realizing I hadn't gotten a full paste), so any that are larger get
divided up into multiple nodes.

You can make them bigger. It's only the cut & paste operation that has that
limit. You can continue typing IIRC and add more text. I've also added more
text to a node by using Notetab and then re-opening in Treepad. It's all
there.

I wish the author would give us the option of having only one copy open at a
time. Then you could use the hyperlink capability to link the files, using
one as a master and the others as sub-documents. That maintains the trees
and nodes model, though you would lose the search ability. However, you
could save a search using Windows find file function, then simply call it up
as needed. . .

I've been looking for a program that "forces" one instance of a program for
those that don't do it, but haven't found one yet. BTW, the paid version of
Treepad offers this ability.

Little Girl

Hey there,

I do continuous testing. . . ;)

Heh, figures. We're all in the same boat. :)
I keep adding to the "software.hjt" file (aka ACF program info file plus saved posts and notes) and
hoping it won't break. (None of my other Treepad files are anywhere near as big.)

Yeah, that's what I've got going over here, too, and is my biggest
file as well. Although ever since I began that, I started using
Treepad for more and more things. It's now a requirement for me. :)
I figure my Treepad backup file is insurance. If I lose the "software.hjt" file I'll only lose the
data I've added since the last backup.

Yeah, I back mine up as well. But the problem is that on any given day
I can spend hours adding to it, and losing all of that would be a
shame. I also delete the messages from my newsreader as I paste and
save in Treepad. I suppose I could rescue them from the trash, but
that would involve detailed verification that all pasted items got
successfully pasted. As long as I stay within the posted size limits,
I can count on Treepad to paste what I give it. And for safety's sake,
I'm trusting the smaller of the two different posted size limits.
When I'm feeling particularly brave I check the file size. . . . it's currently around 13 MB (Win
XP). arghhhhhhhhh. . .

I tried splitting the software file a while back - and found that having the data in two files was a
real PITA so combined them again. If I do succeed in exceeding Treepad's limits I'll do a (much
needed) clean-up rather than split the file - till then that chore will probably stay near the
bottom of my to-do list. . .

Just out of curiosity, how did you work with the two files? When I
first split mine, I opened one and then chose the Reopen menu item to
if I open the Treepad files from Explorer, I can open two of them at
once. I open them in alphabetical order, so I know which to click on
depending on what I'm pasting. No idea if that would be of any help to
you in maybe reconsidering splitting it. If your data is anything like
my data, it would take months to sift through it all and delete enough
to shrink the thing down, and meanwhile you'd be piling up a mountain
of stuff to add to it when finished! :)

Little Girl

Hey there,

You can make them bigger. It's only the cut & paste operation that has that
limit. You can continue typing IIRC and add more text. I've also added more
text to a node by using Notetab and then re-opening in Treepad. It's all
there.

Ah, good to know. But that won't solve my 65,000 character problem,
since I'm pasting when I butt up against that wall. :)
I wish the author would give us the option of having only one copy open at a
time. Then you could use the hyperlink capability to link the files, using
one as a master and the others as sub-documents. That maintains the trees
and nodes model, though you would lose the search ability. However, you
could save a search using Windows find file function, then simply call it up
as needed. . .

As far as the search ability, since Treepad files are text, any text
searching software could search within them. That's the beauty of it -
its compatibility with everything else. :)
I've been looking for a program that "forces" one instance of a program for
those that don't do it, but haven't found one yet. BTW, the paid version of
Treepad offers this ability.

I seem to remember a program being mentioned in here at least a year
ago that could do just that. I'll take a look and see if I maybe
grabbed it to archive, since I collect the odd and unusual programs
whenever I hear about them in here. It might take a little while to
find, though, since I'd have to figure out where I'd even decide to
put such a thing. And if I haven't got the file, then I probably have
the message(s) referencing it archived either in my newsreader or in
Treepad. One way or another, it should pop up. :)

Susan Bugher

Little said:
<GASP!> And it's still fully functioning?

Yup. :) Feel better now? You've still got lots of running room. . .
Just out of curiosity, how did you work with the two files? When I
first split mine, I opened one and then chose the Reopen menu item to
if I open the Treepad files from Explorer, I can open two of them at
once. I open them in alphabetical order, so I know which to click on
depending on what I'm pasting. No idea if that would be of any help to
you in maybe reconsidering splitting it. If your data is anything like
my data, it would take months to sift through it all and delete enough
to shrink the thing down, and meanwhile you'd be piling up a mountain
of stuff to add to it when finished! :)

The biggest nuisance when I used two files for "software" was that I had to search both files to see
if I had info about an app. Searching one file is *much* easier. (I have more than one Treepad file
open fairly often - depends on what I'm doing - but they're about different things.)

I agree with you about trying to reduce the file size - doing that takes as long or longer than it
does to add new info. I save more "snippets" now (rather than full posts) - that helps to slow the
growth in file size - and I try to do *some* pruning and weeding as I add new info.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware