IE extension file

Mike

I am using windows XP. When I load internet explorer it
starts to my home page and then it is redirected to try
and find incredifind.com and the page goes white and it
will not load anything. I found the file but I cannot
delete it because it says "access denied". It is under
program files in a directory called incredifind. It has a
folder named BHO and has a file in the folder named
IncFindBHO.dll. Can anyone please tell me how to delete
this. I cannot use system retore because this is my
daughter's computer and she has been at college and there
is not a restore point old enough that I can get to. Any
help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Burgess

Mike,
incredifind.com = Parasite.KeenValue
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/KeenValue.html

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 12-15-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid

marla

i am having gthe same problem....when i go the mvps.org
you list below, it says i can go to adaware etc to
download, but i can't do that because IE is completely
disabled....i cannot access a website onthat computer, it
just shows incredifind on the bottom toolbar, and is a
frozen white page.
So, how do i get that fixed so i can actually access a
website?

thanks for any help!!
marla
_________________________________________________________ ___
--

Mike said:
I am using windows XP. When I load internet explorer it
starts to my home page and then it is redirected to try
and find incredifind.com and the page goes white and it
will not load anything. I found the file but I cannot
delete it because it says "access denied". It is under
program files in a directory called incredifind. It has a
folder named BHO and has a file in the folder named
IncFindBHO.dll. Can anyone please tell me how to delete
this. I cannot use system retore because this is my
daughter's computer and she has been at college and there
is not a restore point old enough that I can get to. Any
help will be greatly appreciated.

.

DVarnau

Marla,
First go to IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced and uncheck "Enable third
party browser extensions." that "may" help. You can reenable browser
extensions later.

Here are removal instructions from
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/KeenValue.html
- - - - -

Removal
The v1 variant may be removed from the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs
feature. Choose 'KeenValue' and click 'Remove'.

The Incredifind variant can be partially removed using the 'KeenValue' and
'PowerSearch toolbar for IE' entries in Add/Remove Programs, if an internet
connection is present.

Manual Removal
For the Incredifind variant, open a DOS command prompt window (from
Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u "\Program Files\Incredifind\BHO\BHO.dll"
regsvr32 /u "\Program Files\PowerSearch\Toolbar\pwrs0rbi.dll"
Next, for either variant, open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and
enter 'regedit') and find the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Remove the
'KeenValue' entry. You can also delete the following keys to clean up, if
you wish:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Visicom Media\PWRS0RBI
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\eUniverse
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KeenValue

(Also the 'KeenValue' and 'PowerSearch' keys from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall can
be deleted if you still have them.)

Next, restart your computer and you should be able to delete the 'KeenValue'
folder inside the Program Files\Common Files folder. For the Incredifind
variant you can also delete the Program Files folders 'PowerSearch',
'Incredifind' and 'Dynamic Toolbar\PWRS0RBI'.

Finally, restore your search settings (Internet Options->Programs->Reset Web
Settings), and remove the Hosts file hijack: open the System folder (which
is inside the Windows folder, and called 'System32' on Windows NT, 2000 and
XP), go to 'drivers'->'etc', and load the file 'hosts' (with no file
extension) into a text editor. Delete the following line and save.

12.129.205.209 search.netscape.com

Hope this helps,
Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org