IE 7.0 - Proxy user Password option never gets saved

Rayees

Hi all

I have a peculiar problem. I tried all option but that doesn't seems to be
working.

Problem:
---------

I have Windows XP proffessional PC connected to a domain. I use internet
through a proxy server, hence I use separate password for my Internet. I
was using IE 6.0, in IE 6 I saved my password for proxy, so it never bothers
me to type the password always. Now I upgraded my Internet explorer 6 to IE
7.0. After the upgradation, I noticed the password option pops up. I
entered the password and clicked on a button "Save password" . Inspite of
this password screen pops up always.

One more information on this regard, we noticed when I log on with admin
previleage at this specific machine this problem never occurs where as if
any user if he logs on the computer who donot have admin previlege have this
problem. But for security reason we don't want any user to part of local
administrator.

However with IE6 it was working fine, problem happened only after upgrading
to IE 7

What will the problem? Is there any settings available to correct this!!

Please help.

Regards
Rayees

Morgan che

Dear Rayees,

Thanks for posting here, and also thanks for Alan's suggestion.

After viewing this post, I suspect the loss of permission causes this
issue. For security reason, I suggest you designate a Group Policy on the
Domain Controller to figure it out.

We can edit related entry in "User Configuration->Windows Setting->Internet
Explorer Maintenance\Connection\Connection\Proxy Setting" to define a
uniform proxy setting in Domain Controller and link this GPO to the
corresponding OU, domain or site where we want to apply.

By the way, may I know how you set the "proxy user password"? Could you
please send me a screen shot so that I can better understand it?

You can send the files to me at (e-mail address removed) (please include "
Proxy user Password option never gets saved" in the subject line).

More Information:
===============

The Internet Explorer Maintenance settings can be set in two modes: policy
mode (to enable by Computer Configuration\Administrative
Templates\System\Group Policy\Internet Explorer Maintenance policy
processing) or preference mode(to enable by right-clicking Internet
Explorer Maintenance).

Like all registry-based Group Policy settings, Internet Explorer
Maintenance policy mode settings reapply only when the GPO changes. Unlike
most registry-based Group Policy settings, configuring an Internet Explorer
Maintenance setting does not prevent the user from changing that setting.

The policy mode is enforced and automatically resets any settings users
might change (if they have the appropriate permissions) when Group Policy
is applied.

Preference mode sets initial default values that the user can change,
subject to other Group Policy settings that affect the user. The preference
settings are only applied again when the administrator makes changes to the
preference settings. To allow users to change these preferences, they must
be able to access Internet Options on the Tools menu. You allow users
access by configuring settings in the Group Policy Object Editor under
Computer (or User) Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
Components\Internet Explorer.

We cannot use policy and preference modes together in a single GPO. If we
need both modes, we must use two separate GPOs. For the more information
about it, please refer to:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/6dcc3ce3-667d-44fb-97
2b-799ac1f26bcd1033.mspx?mfr=true

I hope this helps. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day!

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: Alan Edwards <[email protected]>
--->Subject: Re: IE 7.0 - Proxy user Password option never gets saved
--->Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:46:50 +1100
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
--->
--->Please try the IE7 group.
--->The recommended newsgroup is microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
--->
--->In a proper newsreader:
--->news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
--->
--->If you must use a web interface:
--->http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=mi
crosoft.public.internetexplorer.general
--->
--->...Alan
--->--
--->Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
--->http://dts-l.com/index.htm
--->
--->On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:01:17 +0530, in
--->microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, "Rayees"
--->
--->>Hi all
--->>
--->>I have a peculiar problem. I tried all option but that doesn't seems
to be
--->>working.
--->>
--->>Problem:
--->>---------
--->>
[...]

How is everything going?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know!

Thanks.

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: "Rayees" <[email protected]>
--->Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:01:17 +0530
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
--->
--->Hi all
--->
--->I have a peculiar problem. I tried all option but that doesn't seems
to be
--->working.
--->
--->Problem: