HTTP 404-File Not Found

Ted

HTTP 404-File Not Found is the message received when
trying to use search function utilizing a keyword. If I
type a domain site, all works fine. Windows XP Home
with all service paks/updates installed.

THANKS A MILLION

Ramesh [MS-MVP]

Your system might be affected by the QHosts trojan.
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/darnit_3.htm#qhost

Ramesh [MS-MVP]
Aim: SRamesh2k
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

~ Please reply to newsgroup ~

HTTP 404-File Not Found is the message received when
trying to use search function utilizing a keyword. If I
type a domain site, all works fine. Windows XP Home
with all service paks/updates installed.

THANKS A MILLION

Mike Burgess

Ted,
The first thing to do is to scan your system for the possibility of
unknown\unwanted spyware or parasites that may be causing your problem(s).

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 10-10-03]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid

aravind

I have the same issue but what appears more complex is that

I do not have any single reference to the any of the regsirty entries
Or I do not have any other host file just the single one at
system32\drivers\etc
I do not have the bldmp temp directory.

I have applied adware, spybot, hijackthis, the beta hijack this, the
BROWN university qhost finder tool, symantecs qhost finder, updated AV
signatures.

I have applied the ms-patches too.

I have gone through all the recommended registry strings adviced by
many in different groups...not a single one exist. I deleted the host
...recreated a new one...re installed tcpip....

but no go at all. i can't access google, yahoo, yahoo mail and quite
a number of other web sites tooo... I can only the google groups by
using other browsers.

There is something being overlooked...some kind of camouflage cleverly
done here
by QHOST and mixture of variants. MY os is Xp Professional SP1.

Kindly keep up u r great work guys and see if you can find a fix ...

Cheers Thanks.

H Leboeuf

Removal tools that have been used with success.
http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/CIS/Software_Services/virus/index.html
http://software.brown.edu/dist/w-cleanqhosts.html