Error 633: modem already in use

Michel Merlin

On my new laptop (2 months) with Win XP Pro SP2 (US), since last
week I can't connect; each try brings me:
|________________________________________________________

| ! Opening port...
|
| Error 633: The modem (or other connecting device)
| is already in use or is not configured properly.

| | Redial=59 | | Cancel | | More Info |

|________________________________________________________

The only change I can remember is installing ActiveSync (3.8)
and AvantGo (5.7 build 53). I tried System Restore back to
several days before, no avail.

Now I also tried:

Google "Error 633: modem already in use or not configured properly"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Error+633:+modem+already+in+use+or+not+configured+properly

which brought:

« FIX: A program cannot re-establish communication with a modem
device after the USB cable is quickly reconnected »
Rev 2.2, Tue 25 Oct 2005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822112

and this could be the problem: I did install also:

- an ARTEC T14 mini Digital (USB2) TV Stick
http://www.artec.com.tw/ehtm/be122.htm
- and a "Microsoft® Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000"
http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...6-e1c6770827a0&crumb=catpage&catid=c250fb0a-1
613-4550-983d-ba203f357698

both devices that I very often plugged/removed (since they react
quickly). So I guess this flaw is as that, when you have *once
only* removed too quickly an USB device, XP will be unable to
connect whatever you do, including rebooting or restoring...

So I guess I have to obtain the 822112 hotfix - which is a
chore. Anyone could offer another solution?

Paris, Wed 3 May 2006 18:23:55 +0200

Michel Merlin

Yes of course I uninstalled/reinstalled the modem, and I did see
KB324760 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324760
(which is older, 1 Dec 2003, and concerns XP-incompatible
software; I uninstalled every recently installed software that
could be suspect, as my ARTEC T14). Thanks anyway for trying.

Other things I could have mentioned are:

- better link for the
"Microsoft® Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000":
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=048
- modem is set to COM3;
- in Device Manager > Ports, I have plenty COM ports allocated
to my BlueTooth USB key (from memory: COM11 to COM17), and
several other COM ports (COM3 to COM10 IIRC);
- in them the COM3 disappeared after some tries to install a new
COM port (unfortunately I have no more the COM chart I used to
help people on CompuServe forums in the 1995-98, so I lack the
exact memory address for COM3 or others).

Paris, Thu 4 May 2006 14:18:50 +0200