Error 633 modem already in use: by which application?

Michel Merlin

Error 633 modem already in use: by which application?

I am badly impaired by this problem, I found no real solution,
and despite some good soul came to help, none else found either.
So I am posting again what I already asked in a previous related
message (copied below).

My new Windows XP Pro laptop has been shelved for more than a
month now, absolutely unable to connect to the Internet through
phone (and here in France where bribe, scam and deception are
the rule, not the exception, and this unfortunately, more in
ISPs than anywhere else, I surely won't subscribe any broadband
as long as my good old simple 56K line refuses to work), due to
a stupid problem that has plagued Windows for years, but that
got WORSE in Windows XP: "Error 633: The modem (or other
connecting device) is already in use or is not configured
properly" (see the related post below).

I can't understand that in 2006 Windows is still unable to tell
the user which application is the culprit and needs to be
closed. I have spent countless hours using System Restore (back
weeks before the modem stopped working),
uninstalling/reinstalling everything that could even remotely
deal with the modem (modem drivers of course, modem software,
and everything that could try using it). The Related Message
below reports just the beginning of it. An anormous amount of
time and pain has been spent now - and totally wasted: I found
exactly nothing, I just happened to connect 3 or 4 times (in one
month) but next time it wouldn't and I had everything to do
again from start. My request for help on MS newsgroup got no
real reply - and of course won't get the one that would be the
most urgent, necessary, and relevant: forward the issue to MS
developers, requiring to URGENTLY and TOTALLY and RELIABLY solve
that problem that have produced too much time losses in
thousands users already.

I also tried (or retried - thanks again Drew!):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324760 1 Dec 2003
Error Message: Error 633 Modem Is Already in Use
(Recommends uninstalling all devices and programs that may
include a driver incompatible with Windows XP)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308022 18 Jun 2004
Resources for troubleshooting modem problems in Windows XP
(Doesn't shoot any trouble)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283412 18 Oct 2001
Doesn't help any *and finds this is normal* ("This behavior is
by design").

http://www.google.com/search?q=Error+633:+modem+already+in+use
google "Error 633: modem already in use"

http://error633.windowsreinstall.com/
633 - The port is already in use or is not configured for Remote
Access dialout: recalls (appropriately: digging in details often
makes one forget the basic!)

« Check that you are not running any Fax, Remote Access,
Palm or Handheld software that is monitoring or using the
Modem »

None of this succeeded.

It may be also that the modem software (SmartLink 56K) would be
impairing itself by a doubled request? So I tried also
http://www.google.com/search?q=Error+633+modem+already+in+use+SmartLink+56K
google "Error 633 modem already in use SmartLink 56K"

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182781
"I am about to throw the pc through the wall...
the worst part is I am a network tech..."
(several tries:
http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179495
http://www.modemhelp.net/dunerror/error_633.shtml
but no go...)

So please, if any good soul as the 1st one who tried had an
idea, please tell me... And above all, if anyone was able to
convince the relevant people at Microsoft to do what users
REALLY want and are craving for (i.e. CURING WHAT FAILS), then
please do it! In short:

1) How do I know which application is hoarding my modem or port?

2) Who at Microsoft should be contacted with a nanopercent
chance they consider curing this flaw?

Paris, Thu 1 Jun 2006 19:29:30 +0200