Creating a network with two computers

Kye

Reaction score
This is going too sound silly...but do i need a printer too share the internet?! and this is without a hub or anything? :D i will re-read, but...all i need, apart from the two PCs and a ethernet cable, and a modem?

so, the internet is on one computer, while the ethernet cable connects too the two PCs?

software-wise on windows i can handle it, but i just want too know too make sure, im very cautious like that :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Fuzzy said:
I will try and get something posted here about wireless networking...

Thanks a lot, very nice of you. I will look forward to your guide! :thumb:

Reaction score
Why would you need a printer to shaure internet?

Unless your modem printed off all the Beeps, and Brrssss etc... and you scanned it in!!!

I once saw a guy who said if i gave him a Gmail account, he would teach me "modem talk" so i could access the internet thought a pay phone saying all the beeps in the right place!

Stupid i know!!!

Kye

Reaction score
dont diss the art of modem talk.

:( and it was a silly question about the printer, but it i didnt ask i wouldnt know, even if logic dictates that that was the most reasonable thing.

and im still wondering if all i need is a ethernet cable :confused: lol

Reaction score
The art of modem talk! - next time you use a payphone, try checking for new posts here!

Reaction score
Kye said:
This is going too sound silly...but do i need a printer too share the internet?! and this is without a hub or anything? :D i will re-read, but...all i need, apart from the two PCs and a ethernet cable, and a modem?

so, the internet is on one computer, while the ethernet cable connects too the two PCs?

software-wise on windows i can handle it, but i just want too know too make sure, im very cautious like that :D
As you have realised, KYE, all you need is a computer with an internet connection and an ethernet port and another computer also with an ethernet port.

The two computers are linked directly via their ports with the rj45 crossover cable.

It is not necessary to have a printer for this method to work.

This method will only work for two computers.
(If you want to network more than two pcs then you will need a hub or router.)

This is a system that can be used to share any computer resource,
be it internet connectivity, printers and peripherals, or simply files.

You do not need to share all resources - only those you chose.

I hope this helps,

Fuzzy

Last edited:

Kye

Reaction score
i found a cat5 connector thing...will this work using this instead of the rj45? if not, what networking is the cat5 use for?

Kye

Reaction score
ok...

yesterday i went and got me a crossover cable. i followed this guide, but...the details are slightly vauge. the network wizard asked me questions as if it was trying too trick me out...default Q's though but they were not too easy too understand.

i tried the networking at...12:10am, i should of known better. i gave up after 4am, after trying all different ways, options, hosting on both PCs and such. i can not get the internet sharing on either PC too work. i woke up at 8am too tackle this problem, and remembered my uncle disabled the LAN option thingy in the BIOs on the soon-too-be client PC. i enabled it, but its the ethernet controller, and the driver is not there and nor can i found on on PC or internet. Is the ethernet controller importent for crossover networking?

secondly, i need another NIC...or ethernet hole in the back of the client PC. sorry if i missed it! but, this guide did not tell me that :(

the client PC is the older of the two. it uses a 1394 net adapter. just in case its importent. if im doing the right thing, then thats ok, the ethernet controller is the main question in this post. thank you!

Kye

Edit: ok, no two NIC's in one computer. crossover networking for internet sharing is complicated. im just going too buy a very small hub.

Last edited:
Reaction score
networking

I have a laptop connected to a desktop they are sending information bu I cannot control what is being sent. I have installed both the wizards several times with no improvement. I have xp on both with ethernet through a hub. Taskbar icons state that tansfer is at 100mbps When I install the laptop through the wizard it does not show up in my network connections.

Reaction score
Both PCs are visible but cant share files

Hi ,

I followed the steps outlined by Fuzzy but still cant share files

Target:
To share files between Desktop and Laptop
Both PCs connecting to internet via DSL Modem and their respective NIC cards ( Independently)

Inventory:
Desktop and Laptop both having 1 NIC.
Both have XP Pro

Status : I am able to ping the remote m/c from either of the PCs.
MY NETWORK PLACES: I can see both m/c (within the same Workgroup) in either of the m/c
On Both m/c I have 'Share this folder on the network' for various folders.

Issue:
On the Desktop the shared folder are visible in Network Places for 'Desktop' but NOT for 'Laptop' and vice-versa
I can see the remote m/c but nothin inside it.When I double click the other machine it prompts me for Username / Password where the username: Guest is preselected and cannot be changed

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Thanx in advance

Hitesh

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Some very clear and easy to follow guides on networking here ,

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/426

happywave.gif

Ask a Question