File sharing on a home network.

Reaction score
When I signed up with Time Warner Cable for internet access, the Time Warner tech fixed up a network. Two desktops are connected to the modem with Ethernet cables and two laptops use a wireless connection to the network. That's all working great, including the sharing of two printers. I am trying to figure out how to use that network for file sharing. I know the name of the network and the password but I don't know how to find it or how to use it for file sharing. I tried to use the Windows Network wizard, but I stopped because I was concerned that I might mess up the network that was set up by the Time Warner tech. The two desktop computers use Windows XP and one of them is the one the tech was using, so that's probably where the network files are. One of the laptops uses Windows Vista and the other laptop uses Windows 7.

How do I find the network and use it for file sharing?

McGyver

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

As it stands, all of your PCs are connected to the Network - but it sounds like File Sharing isn't enabled on one or more of the machines. The network is simply the connection between all of the PCs, but this doesn't provide the space or facility to share files - you need to pick which PC(s) you want to store files on.

Other PCs can only access those files when the PC you are sharing files from is turned on, so if you are just looking for a single place to store and share files, I'd pick the PC you use the most. The method for setting up a network share differs in each OS (easier the newer it is), so if you let us know which (or all?) OSes you would want to set up the network share on and we can find a tutorial :).

If you want all of the PCs to access a shared network space no matter which computers are on, it may be better to buy a NAS (network attached storage). This is storage device that you plus in to your router/modem and all of the PCs on the network can see/use it - quite handy if you want to backup items or store photos/documents. There's the cost of the hardware (probably around $100-120 for a 1TB NAS drive), so it's not a cost-free option like setting up a network share on an existing PC... but I thought I should mention it just in case!

Reaction score
Thank you for the response, Ian. Here are some clarifications of the problem.

The computer I will call the Main desktop (Windows XP) is the one with the music, pictures and documents I want to share with the other computers. It would be nice also to be able to work the sharing both ways, so I can use the Main desktop to see files in the sharing folders of the other computers, but that is secondary.

On the Main desktop, which is always on and connected to the network, I right clicked the My Music folder and the My Pictures folder. In the sharing tab I checked the box: "Share this folder on the network." (Clicked Apply and OK)

I found the folder named C:\Documents and Settings\Al Users\Shared Documents. I puts files in the subfolders. I enabled File sharing, Network discovery, Public folder sharing and Media sharing.

I used Windows Explorer to open: "My Network Places\Entire Network\Mshome. That folder shows the Main desktop itself, but doesn't show the Vista laptop, which is on and connected to the network. I'm guessing that this folder is the place where I should be seeing the Vista laptop (and the other two, which I will worry about later). The folder doesn't show any other network.

Likewise, on the Vista laptop I enabled File sharing, Network discovery, Public folder sharing and Media sharing. I used Windows Explorer to open the Network folder and it shows the name of the network "Phipps" and shows the Vista laptop itself, but doesn't show the Main desktop. The folder doesn't show any other network. I'm guessing that this folder is the place where I should be seeing the Main desktop. (Phipps is my name, which the Time Warner tech used to set up the internet connection network.)

It seems as if the two computers are on different networks, one named Mshome and the other named Phipps.

Thanks again.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
The machines must be in the same workgroup to share files. Otherwise, they will never see each other. Connect to a router and enable your file sharing. You may even need to setup users to access each share. More details available if needed.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, Surfer.

If the solution is to buy a router, that's obviously the next step. I thought the Time Warner Cable devise was a router as well as a modem. It says on it "Netgear Advanced Cable Modem Gateway CGD24G" and "Wireless Network Name (SSID): ..." and it has an antenna.

I got as far as making the Vista laptop use the printer that is connected to the XP desktop computer, so I thought that was another clue that the Time Warner modem was also acting as a router. When I buy a router, how do I set up a workgroup?

McGyver

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Start>run>cmd>ipconfig

that will show you your IP address. If you have something like 192.168.XXX.XXX, then you probably have a router there. Most companies now are supplying devices that do a bit of handling to keep their connections as silent as possible. My surfboard does it even with only one ethernet connection on it.
Getting into it, could be a bit of an issue.

file and print sharing...awesome. so you have some communications going already. good.

Workgroups:

By default, Windows configures itself to be in the workgroup "Workgroup". There is a good chance that both of your machines are already set to this default, which is evident by the printer working.

Vista/7:
Vista/7: Start>right click Computer. System Properties will show up. Third or fourth down, Computer name Domain and Workgroup settings. Change Settings link to the right. If you have the name Workgroup as your workgroup name, you can change it to something more custom or amusing for you or just leave it as is, Defaults can get you in trouble as well as being too personal or specific in names. Just remember it because any machine you want to share information with will need to have this name.

XP
Start>control Panel>system properties>computer name tab

Once you change the workgroup or computer name, you will need to restart so that it will properly identify itself on the network. An unidentified machine can lose it's access to resources over time.

Ask a Question