Creating a network with two computers

Reaction score
Creating a network with two computers part 1

Introduction

Linking two computers together is quite simple.

Although a network of more than two computers needs a hub or some other hardware, all you need to link two computers is a cable and the appropriate sockets on your PC's.

The cable you need is an RJ45 CROSSOVER CABLE and the socket you need is an Ethernet port on each machine.

attachment.php

You plug the cable, which costs anywhere between £3 and £10, into the port on each computer and you have your own network!

Transfer speeds will probably be about 100Mb/s, which is quite fast.

There is a little configuration of the system to do but you can soon be up and running.

The two computers can share an internet connection and operate independently on the net. In fact, you can send standard emails from machine to machine and compete together on gaming sites. The two machines can browse and operate on the net as if they each had their own connection. You can also share files between the computers and even share a single printer or a scanner too.

It is however IMPORTANT to consider security if internet sharing like this. Both machines should have a good FIREWALL and anti-virus monitoring as without them they are less secure than a single computer. However as long as anti virus and firewalls are in place there is not a problem. All computers these days should have this sort of security anyway. The main thing is to make sure you update regularly. Your network protocols need configuring correctly too or you could end up sharing all your files with everyone else on the net. :eek:

The next post will tell you about configuring your network and will include a picture of an Ethernet port.

Attachments

• rj45 connector.jpg
    rj45 connector.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 11,628
Last edited:
Reaction score
Creating a network with two computers part 2

Setting Up

In order to get the two PC’s networked we need to know whether they each have an Ethernet connection port.

The easiest way to check this out is to look at the back of the PC tower where all the cables plug in.

There are all sorts of connector ports here, for sound, monitor connection, printer, internet etc., but what we are looking for is the Ethernet port RJ45.

Its connector appears to be almost identical to a standard telephone jack, only slightly bigger and looks like this:-

attachment.php

If your PC is new it almost certainly will have one or maybe even more Ethernet ports.

An older PC however may not have one. This is not a big problem but it does involve spending more money. You can buy an Ethernet card for about £10 which when installed will give you the port you need.

Depending upon your expertise you can install it yourself, by opening the tower case and plugging it into one of the white PCI slots inside (whilst the power is off,) or ask your friendly computer shop salesperson to install it for you.

The next step is to join the two computers (with power off,) by plugging your RJ45 crossover cable into them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The configuration steps, which will follow, depend to some extent upon which operating systems you have on the two machines.

Initially we will assume that both machines have Windows XP installed but later we will discuss the different approach that other Windows systems require.

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 20,961
Last edited:
Reaction score
Creating a network with two computers part 3

Configuration

In order to ease configuring the network, first disconnect from the Internet and uninstall any firewalls on both computers.
You can do this by going to add/remove programs in the Control Panel.
(We will reinstall firewalls later once the network is up and running. In the meantime Windows will install its own firewall.)

attachment.php

Next, choose your Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) host computer.

It is recommended that this computer be running Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional and have a working Internet connection.
It will probably be the newer of your two PC’s.

On this computer,

Open the Control Panel again and click on ‘Network and Internet Connections.’
Under ‘Pick a Task’ click on ‘Set up or change your home or small office network.’
This will open the ‘Network Setup Wizard.’

You will need to have both computers: turned on, connected together, connected to the internet and your printer turned on.

The wizard will take you through each step of naming the computer, sharing files, sharing printers, security and sharing an Internet connection.

Afterwards, you need to run the ‘Network Setup Wizard’ on the other computer.

You should now have a working local area network (LAN) with internet connectivity for both PC’s.
------------------------------------------------------------

The next sections,
which will help in customisation and trouble shooting,
contain descriptions of the following topics:-

Naming the computers and workgroup
Sharing files
Sharing printers
Security
Sharing an internet connection

Attachments

• control-panel.jpg
    control-panel.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 11,819
Last edited:
Reaction score
Creating a network with two computers part 4

Naming the computers and workgroup

Each computer in your network needs to have its own name.
However, they both need to be in the same workgroup.
This will have been set up already if you have run the ‘Network Setup Wizard.’

To check settings:-

In Windows XP:-
Open Control Panel
Click on 'Performance and Maintenance’
Click on ‘System’
Select the ‘Computer Name’ tab.

The computer has a 'Full Computer Name’ and a ‘Workgroup’. Click the ‘Change’ button if you want to alter them.

In the first box, enter the name you wish to give the computer. This can be anything but must be different from the other machine.

If you want to change the workgroup you must change it on the other machine too, so it is the same on both PC’s.

In Windows 98/ME:-
Right click on the ‘Network Neighborhood’ icon on the desktop
Select Properties
Click the Identification tab

In the first box, enter the name you wish to give the computer. This can be anything but must be different from the other machine.

If you want to change the workgroup in the second box, you must change it on the other machine too, so it is the same on both PC’s.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Creating a network with two computers part 5

Sharing files

'File sharing' as the name implies involves access to files from one machine by the other.

Windows XP sets up a 'Shared Documents' folder on each machine and any files or folders here can be accessed, edited, deleted or whatever by either PC.
All other folders and files are inaccessible by default.

To make another folder accessible:-

Right click on the folder icon
Select Properties
Click the Sharing tab
Tick the appropriate boxes and specify a share name for the folder.

Note - You can make the folder read only to prevent the files in it from being altered or deleted.

In Windows 98/ME none of this is set up by default.
You must set up file sharing and specify which folders you want to share.

Right click on the ‘Network Neighborhood’ icon
Select Properties
Under the Configuration tab, check that you have:-
‘Client for Microsoft Networks’

If not

Click Add in the ‘Network Properties’ window
Choose ‘Client’ from the list that pops up.
Click Add
Click ‘Microsoft’ in that left pane. This will bring up a list of Microsoft's software clients in the right pane.
Choose ‘Client for Microsoft Networks’ from here and click OK.
Windows may prompt you for the Win98 CD. If so, insert the CD and continue.
You should arrive back at the ‘Network Properties’ window.

To set up file and printer sharing:-

In the ‘Network Properties’ window
Click the ‘File and Print Sharing’ button
Tick the two boxes to enable file and print sharing
Click ok to exit the window

Windows XP creates a ‘Shared Documents’ folder by default.
In Windows 98 you have to create your own.

First create a New Folder
Rename it ‘Shared Documents’
Right click on it
Select the ’Sharing…’ option
In the new window in ‘Shared as...’ type in a name for the folder such as ShareDocs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Creating a network with two computers part 6

Sharing printers

In Windows XP

To allow access to the printer on your machine:-

Open Control Panel
Click on Printers and Other Hardware
Click on ‘View installed printers or fax printers’
Right click on the printer you want to share
Select ‘Sharing…’
Enable ‘Share this printer’

To access the printer connected to the other PC:-

Open Control Panel
Click on Printers and Other Hardware
Click on ‘Add a printer’ and follow the wizard to connect to it on your machine.

In Windows 98

Check that print sharing is enabled (see ‘Sharing files’ above)

To allow access to the printer on your machine:-

Click the Start button, move to Settings and select Printers
Right click the printer you want to share
Select Sharing...
Click the Shared As option and type in a name for the printer.
Click OK to close the window.

To enable access the printer connected to the other PC:-

Click the Start button, move to Settings and select Printers
Double-click the Add a Printer wizard.
Choose the Network Printer option and click Next.
Choose the printer you wish to access and click Next again.
The wizard will then install the printer driver.

You now have access to the printer as if it was on your own machine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Creating a network with two computers part 7

Security

Anti virus software

It is important that you have anti virus software running on your computer.

It should be set up to monitor your emails and incoming files.

You should keep its virus definitions current by updating regularly.

Firewalls

A firewall on each of the PC’s is important to keep out unwanted access to your computers from the internet and to prevent programs on your computer accessing the net without your knowledge.

If you intend to install a firewall on a Windows XP computer you need to disable the Windows Firewall first.

Additional Security Precautions

Check that ‘File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks’ are not installed for internet connections

Check that ‘Client for Microsoft Networks’ is not installed for internet connections

Check that sensitive files and folders are set as read only

Ensure that you share a minimum of files and folders and that you know which ones they are. (You could put them in a joint folder for example)

Make backups

-------------------------------

In Windows XP

To check your Internet settings:-

Open Control Panel
Click on ‘Network and Internet Connections’
Then
‘Network Connections’
Right click on your internet connection - dialup, cable or whatever.
Select Properties

Here you can set and unset windows internet connection firewall (advanced tab)

Check that ‘File and Printer Sharing’ and ‘Client for Microsoft Networks’ are not enabled

To set the attributes of a file or folder:-

Right click on the folder
Select properties
Tick or untick read only

Last edited:
Reaction score
Creating a network with two computers part 8

Sharing an internet connection

Using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS} on a computer that has any form of internet connection, allows it to share its connection with other Windows 98/ME/XP computers on the network

Ideally your host computer should have Windows XP installed

Windows 98

After setting up the host computer, the Network Setup Wizard will gather some information and prompt you to insert a floppy disk, which you will then use to configure the other Windows 98/ME computer on your network for Internet access.

If the other computer is also a Windows XP computer then this step is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fuzzy,

do you feel better now you got that off your chest? lol, i like it, that'll answer a lot of questions. one question i have is....

when you said make sure your not sharing system files, i've never been able to get windows to share system files just doesn't have the share option available, any ideas on how to enable shared access to all off the C:\windows directory?

my network consists of two machines one running XP Home and one running Pro. these are networked wirelessly using the B standard and is NOT encrypted.

J

Last edited:
Reaction score
Corrections

Thanks for the interest Techy,

Now I can get back to me whippet n pigeons!!

You're quite right.... :blush:

To quote Microsoft:

'The Sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and WINDOWS system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders in other user's profiles.'

I've corrected the error in my posting.

Not quite sure what happens if you share the root of the drive, but I'm not gonna try. I'm sure that would be a bad idea.

If you spot anything else please let me know so I can make the appropriate corrections.

:)

Reaction score
it wasn't intended to be sarcastic, i genuinely wondered if it could be done, and now i know it can't.

i've tried sharing the root of a drive and it still blocks access.

the rest looks spot on mate, jobs a good'n! ;)

Reaction score
No problem Techy, no offence taken.

I picked that thing about sharing system files up from somewhere,

Perhaps I'm thinking about Windows 98.

I haven't got access to a Win98 computer to test it out.

By the way, about that 486 board you got. - The 486 was the first computer I had apart from a Commodore 64 that is.
A mate of mine gave me a box of bits and I had to build my own PC.
The CD rom was a 2X speed and plugged into the sound card.
That created big problems trying to install Windows95.
No audio drivers - no CD rom!!
I ended up blowing the board by accidentally connecting its power supply the wrong way round.
O dear.

Reaction score
Thanks for an excellent guide Fuzzy. There is however a problem with a wired connection if there is a substantial distance between Computers. If you have Broadband I can strongly recommend BT's wireless connection (Network 1250), which in addition to Internet sharing also gives complete sharing, between of up to 10 Computers, of Printers, Files etc.

I only have three Computers (one of which is a Laptop) but really one can almost opperate anything on any Computer from whichever one is sitting at. Also of course it is ideal for Laptops.

Two of the Computers have XP and the other Windows 98. The set up for a wireless connection is as you describe although BT's set updisc does most of the work. One of the biggest bonuses is that there is no need to connect with the Internet when you turn a Computer on, this is done by the Wireless modem automatically - just turn a Computer on and you are online.

Regards
Buzzwoody

Reaction score
you can go up to 300ft with a cat5 ethernet cable without any hubs, switiches, NIC's, for a home network that's plenty, (unless your the queen!) a wireless network is tidier although not as fast and more expensive, i count more pro's than cons for wired, this is coming from a guy with a wireless network setup ;) i'd have a wired network if i could.

J

Reaction score
You gents made some very valid points there.

I debated about wireless myself.

My decision to go wired was down to the speed of the connection. As you said Techy I got a bit of a better maximum speed on my wired system, 400Mb/s as opposed to 10Mb/s on wireless. Not that my network will ever need that!

The other reason, the main one really, was down to my Northern reluctance to part with brass. My network, described in the posts above, cost me the princely sum of £8.99, for a cable from Dixons. Which isn't a bad way to introduce yourself to networking.

If I do want to include another PC in my network then I will obviously have to think again. In the meantime, I've got some cash left over for a new cloth cap and a set of clogs, duz tha' know!!

Maybe I should do a post on building a PC - cos thats how I got the second one that started this whole ball rolling.

Thankyou for the comments. At least I know now I'm not the only one who has looked through this stuff.
:D
By the way,
here's a few links re: Home Networking,
they each have some useful info.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fuzzy,

Thank you very much for this information. I have just purchased a new PC and was looking for the easiest way of moving a few hundred photo's from the old one. (doesn't have a CD writer). I felt sure that all I needed was a cable and after doing a few searches on the web came across your posting. I was looking at USB Flash memory but the purchase of a single cable looks much more preferable.
Thanks again.

Greg.

Reaction score
greg

thanks for the note

i hope you got your transfer done successfully

i'm pleased that this series has been of use to someone

its great to get some feedback!! :D

fuzzy

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Fuzzy,

Your guide must have helped many, thanks for that! :)

I was wondering if you could post something about sharing a broadband connection on a desktop PC with a laptop having wireless capability. All one needs (assuming the broadband is connected via Ethernet) is a wireless card in one of the PC slots.

Do you think you can spare some time out to put a guide like that.

To tell you the truth I have the Laptop with wifi and I have the boradband on my desktop PC and recently I bought the Wireless card (Planted WL-8310) but I have not been successful to get it to work. The only thing I managed is the connection established and both machines recognise each other but no activity as such. I am really frustrated.

Thanks for any tip you can provide.

Reaction score
Quadofile

I will try and get something posted here about wireless networking...

but, perhaps what you really need are a few pointers for network trouble - shooting,

I'll see if I can come up with something soon...

Watch this space.

Thankyou for your interest,

Fuzzy.

Ask a Question