CPU keeps overheating!!!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
I just ordered an Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro from Scan.co.uk. It will take about a week to come.

So what would I do if I wanted to start "Crunching"?
Not that we wouldn't like you on the team, but i have to say crunching runs your pc at 100% cpu load. (It replaces the 'system idle process' you see in task manager) Meaning its a little hotter than normal idle temps, and what with your overheating issue your having at the moment i suggest you hold off becoming a cruncher until you are sure your system is cured of its heating problems.

When your all sorted start a new thread on crunchers corner and we will gladly guide you through the crunching setup/options. :)

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
V_R said:
Not that we wouldn't like you on the team, but i have to say crunching runs your pc at 100% cpu load. (It replaces the 'system idle process' you see in task manager)

Not anymore, I reduced it from 100% to 60%. It doesn't get hot as much. In the meantime I dusted out the cooler, and it had a small effect by reducing the average temp of the system from 48 to 43-35.

I have made a new thread, you can view it here.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Not anymore, I reduced it from 100% to 60%. It doesn't get hot as much. In the meantime I dusted out the cooler, and it had a small effect by reducing the average temp of the system from 48 to 43-35.

I have made a new thread, you can view it here.

He's right you know V_R . You do not have to crunch at 100% . I like to keep my cpu at arond the 40 C mark and adjust my Boink according to the room temp . Less in the day and more at night .
happywave.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am fully aware of that thanks. ;)

My point was that it was only a couple of days ago he was complaining that his pc was shutting down due to overheating, and that maybe he should concentrate on getting that sorted before he starts crunching. Am i the only one that thinks thats logical?

Personally i always run at 100%, two units at a time. My temps on this warm day......

Core0, Core1, MB.
attachment.php

:D

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 209

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
I am fully aware of that thanks. ;)

My point was that it was only a couple of days ago he was complaining that his pc was shutting down due to overheating, and that maybe he should concentrate on getting that sorted before he starts crunching. Am i the only one that thinks thats logical?

Personally i always run at 100%, two units at a time. My temps on this warm day......

Core0, Core1, MB.
attachment.php

Certainly is logical . Me I would not have crunched untill the problem was solved .
As to 100% running , yes in an ideal world that would be great . However not everyone has the resources or tech know how to build and run pc's like yours . So running at less than 100% is not a bad thing at all and folk may not be spooked by crunching if they realised that not only is it possible but that as long as they are crunching they are providing valuable pc power to the projects .
Just think if every one in the country ran Boinc at 10% every time they switched on their pc , the results would be truly amazing . Specialy if they were all members of the PC Review team .
happywave.gif
user.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Well I wasn't going to start, but in a cruncher's corner thread, I read that you don't have to crunch at 100%, I decided to join.

I keep it running at 60% load with a 49 degrees

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I wasn't going to start, but in a cruncher's corner thread, I read that you don't have to crunch at 100%, I decided to join.

Good for you matey . Well done for reading the threads and extra well done for crunching . You might want to try running at 50% to bring your temp down a tad .
bowdown.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Far enough, Glad to have you on board. :)

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Certainly is logical . Me I would not have crunched untill the problem was solved .
As to 100% running , yes in an ideal world that would be great . However not everyone has the resources or tech know how to build and run pc's like yours . So running at less than 100% is not a bad thing at all and folk may not be spooked by crunching if they realised that not only is it possible but that as long as they are crunching they are providing valuable pc power to the projects .
Just think if every one in the country ran Boinc at 10% every time they switched on their pc , the results would be truly amazing . Specialy if they were all members of the PC Review team .
happywave.gif
user.gif

You are absolutely correct Abarbarian that every little bit counts towards the whole.

I do feel the need however to add that any computer running properly whether home built or store bought can run at 100% without ill effects.

It need not be a custom unit such as V_R's or others out there.

The key is the "properly running" part as well as regular maintenance such as eliminating dirt build up that impedes good air flow and thus hampers cooling and that is something everyone needs to do anyway whether they are crunching or not.

I have one off the shelf DELL that's been going non stop for six years and it hasn't missed a beat except for the times I shut it down for maintenance.

In fact crunching is a method some pro's will use to put a new box through its paces and burn it in.

If the unit crunches successfully then you have a pretty good indication that all is well with it.

Reaction score
Anything around and below 50 is perfectly fine for your CPU, don't worry about that. My processor spends its days between the 45 and 50 degree marks.

I would just wait for the new cooler as there is no point risking your system for the sake of a couple of days.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Spezi said:
You are absolutely correct Abarbarian that every little bit counts towards the whole.

I do feel the need however to add that any computer running properly whether home built or store bought can run at 100% without ill effects.

It need not be a custom unit such as V_R's or others out there.

The key is the "properly running" part as well as regular maintenance such as eliminating dirt build up that impedes good air flow and thus hampers cooling and that is something everyone needs to do anyway whether they are crunching or not.

I have one off the shelf DELL that's been going non stop for six years and it hasn't missed a beat except for the times I shut it down for maintenance.

In fact crunching is a method some pro's will use to put a new box through its paces and burn it in.

If the unit crunches successfully then you have a pretty good indication that all is well with it.
Very well put mate. :)

Reaction score
Im having a similar problem. Computer runs fine while using simple programs like firefox, but as soon as you use amore cpu intensive program the computer turns off and wont restart until it is turned off at the plug for a coupleof minutes. I have added another fan to the computer but am still having some problems. What else might be causing it? Also if it helps, i am using a pentium 4 processor with P4iSG ASRock Mother board

Reaction score
Iwould like to suggest the remote possibility of an electrolytic capacitor raising in value in microfarads.The result would be an increase in voltage from the source to various sections of the motherboard.Load is a factor in capacitance reaction.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Hello Blizard90, welcome to PC Review forums.
Before we can help you, can you please provide us with you processor cooler manufacturer and other specifications.
Are you overclocking?
Are you "Crunching"?

Ask a Question