Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
oh my, 70+?
isnt that cpu kill zone?! hope you can get that fixed

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Then if your sure, that probably means it aint sitting right.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
does maybe the problem lie with the cooler being made for am2 processors and his processor is a 939? Not sure on the compatibility of the two. Also the heatsink may not be sat correctly i would try to resit it, by taking it off and then putting it back on. Those temps are way too hot

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
Then if your sure, that probably means it aint sitting right.

I agree with V_R.

It isn't installed properly, hsf base is warped, or someone didn't pull the plastic off of the thermal interface material if it was that type.

I'd be pulling that cooler off of the CPU and start over carefully inspecting everything along the way.

Check the bottom of the cooling unit to see if it is warped by laying a known straight edge across it and then trying to slide a piece of paper under the straight edge. If it's flat it shouldn't go through so if it does you have a warped one so it just remains to determine exactly how warped.

Easily fixed however with a bit of sandpaper and a little elbow grease.

I'd also make sure that the CPU itself appears acceptable.

Clean all the surfaces really well and put it all back together with a bit of Arctic Silver using suggestions from their website regarding proper application.

Reaction score
The CPU may have soldered itself into the socket by now, or been warped or anything.

If you can, go into the BIOS and change the cut off temp to something more like 60 degrees.

Better safe than sorry.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
does maybe the problem lie with the cooler being made for am2 processors and his processor is a 939? Not sure on the compatibility of the two.
I thought AM2 Athlon and AMD 939 Athlons are made the same and generate the same head. The sticker said "For AM2 Athlon"

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
I thought AM2 Athlon and AMD 939 Athlons are made the same and generate the same head. The sticker said "For AM2 Athlon"

It's not just about heat though as the mounting system can differ too between designs.

I'd make darn sure that cooler is in fact suitable for a socket 939 board.

Easy enough to go to the manufacturers site and look up your unit to see what applications it covers just to make sure.

Reaction score
i belive it has something to do with the thermal paste - proberly never took the plastic cover off first

best thing to do would be to remove old paste and apply some new paste

built a few pc's now and the thermal paste is the most important bit i belive

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
This is my first pc constructed the sparrow way and how could he forget to take the plastic cover off? No offence. I threw all the plastic away and inside the PC there is no melted plastic stuck to the base of the CPU cooler.

Oh, I almost forgot, where can I get cheap thermal paste?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Spezi said:
I'd make darn sure that cooler is in fact suitable for a socket 939 board.

Easy enough to go to the manufacturers site and look up your unit to see what applications it covers just to make sure.
See my link in post #25. :thumb:

CJS said:
This is my first pc constructed the sparrow way and how could he forget to take the plastic cover off? No offence. I threw all the plastic away and inside the PC there is no melted plastic stuck to the base of the CPU cooler.

Oh, I almost forgot, where can I get cheap thermal paste?

So you've had the cooler off? did you clean it and the cpu then reapply the paste? You need to do that each time you remove the cooler, you cant just slap it back on... :)

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_singlecore_wcap.pdf

You can get paste from here....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=AC-000-AC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=27

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No. One or the other not both. :)

Personally i'd clean off the pre applied stuff and use AS5.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This is pretty informative and has some clear pics , if you read this and the advice on the Arctic Silver site then you won't go wrong at all .

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274/1

user.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Should you put thermal paste on a cooler with a thermal pad on it already?

Good point, I think I shouldn't, it said on the pack Premium thermal compounds preapplied to the cooler to keep you PC cool.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure you aren't.

Whcih suggests there is a problem with the pad. Perhaps it has burnt through, or is faulty or something?

Have you checked the pad itself?

At 80 degrees I'm thinking it is may have melted onto the processor or something?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I've returned the cooler and got a replacement. Turns out the preapplied thermal compounds were wiped off when I installed the cooler.:blush: Also those annoying IDE cables kept springing back when I move them out of the way, blocking airflow.

The replacement gives me satisfaction but when playin game, the CPU core still goes up to 52 degrees, is that bad?
I'm thinkin my processor needs a cooler cooler.

Last edited:

Ask a Question