CPU keeps overheating!!!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well that is certainly better, i would prefer it to be under 50 myself, but that just me. Its well within it tolerance. :thumb:

Reaction score
No that is totally acceptable. It was a problem with the pad then
nod.gif

You havea budget cooler there, which is fine, but won't give you icy temps.

All sorted then. Good good. :thumb:

Reaction score
Haha no it won't end up like that. Your cooler is pretty much the same as the stock cooler, which is a very good cooler.

As for better coolers, I would be looking at the likes of thesE:

Zalman CNPS9700 Very good, popular cooler. same one as mine but with a big 120mm fan instead of a 92mm one.

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Brilliant Heatsink, but you will need to buy a 120mm fan for it.

Tuniq Tower 120 A very large but effecgive cooler/

Very Budget or Budget Coolers, which are some of the very best coolers on the market, but available for sod all money. Quiet too.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I like the look of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler :D
Has anyone seen it elsewhere for cheaper than £16.44 inc VAT? Or at retail stores?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Oh Dear

Same cooler, different game, same problem :(:(:(:(
Disney's Toontown online, after racing in the game, the PC has cut off.
Heatsink is blistering hot.
Someone please help!:confused:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Even when the game isn't being played, something is running the CPU at 95-100% usage.
Probably a background process, but I don't know which one.

Last edited:

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
Even when the game isn't being played, something is running the CPU at 95-100% usage.
Probably a background process, but I don't know which one.

The puzzling part now is that regardless of what game you play or process is running the heatsink should cool the CPU even at 100% usage.

People such as Ady and myself run our computers at 100% 365/24/7 doing the crunching projects and we have no issues unless something is broken or plugged up with dirt. :confused:

Since your reinstall of the heatsink cured the other game I'm at a loss to understand what's going on now.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Same cooler, different game, same problem :(:(:(:(
Disney's Toontown online, after racing in the game, the PC has cut off.
Heatsink is blistering hot.
Someone please help!:confused:
At what temp did it reach when it cut off?

What happens now when you run the other game that was running fine a short while ago at 52C?

As Spezi said, if your cooler is fitted correctly and case fans etc working fine then you should be able to run 24/7 at 100% load without a problem.

Its worrying that the CPU is running at 95-100% when nothing is supposedly running, go to Task Manager and have a look under the processes tab and see what process is showing as using the CPU.

Reaction score
That is very strange.

As Spezi said, it should be able to cool it at 100% 24/7.

Is there any way the mounting bracket could be morphed or broken, and so the heatsink is not sitting flush to the processor?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
are there any kind of infections that could cause the computer to troddle up like that?

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Alf said:
are there any kind of infections that could cause the computer to troddle up like that?

There are things that take up all the resources however that's still independent to the ability of the computer to cool itself.

Even if you managed to demand too much from it I could see it freezing up or such but temps shouldn't go any higher than they do when under 100% load.

This sounds like something physically wrong not just a software oddity.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score

What is "Crunching"???? :confused:
Is Java thats doing it. I took java games off my home pages now.
The fan came with a speed controller, I don't put the fan on full because the humming it make annoys everyone in the room including me!
When the CPU is idle from 0% to 20% the temp is from 41 degrees to 48 degrees.

fan is running @ 2250 RPM out of a possible 3100 RPM.

Last edited:

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
What is "Crunching"???? :confused:
Is Java thats doing it. I took java games off my home pages now.
The fan came with a speed controller, I don't put the fan on full because the humming it make annoys everyone in the room including me!
When the CPU is idle from 0% to 20% the temp is from 41 degrees to 48 degrees.

fan is running @ 2250 RPM out of a possible 3100 RPM.

Crunching is a term we use to describe our computers working on distributed computing work units which are designed to use all of a computers spare CPU cycles.

We are participants in the forum World Community Grid team and use our equipment to help find a cure for cancer, AIDS, and other nasty ailments.

First thing I'd be doing is cranking that fan of yours on full if nothing else simply to see if you still get the same result.

Your idle temp seems fine but frankly even a jump from 41 - 48 degrees with only 20% load strikes me as excessive since I don't see my machines increasing in temperature by much more than 6 or 7 degrees going from no load to 100%.

You appear to be getting that with hardly any strain on the unit.

I'm convinced there's something physically wrong be it a faulty retention bracket or perhaps even the CPU itself.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Cranking the fan up to full stops it from overheating, but it makes so much noise, that no one can hear themselves think. Not even myself.
Any suggestions?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Replace the fan with a quieter one, or get a new heatsink that has one already attached :thumb:

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Cranking the fan up to full stops it from overheating, but it makes so much noise, that no one can hear themselves think. Not even myself.
Any suggestions?

At this point I would be seriously considering a better quality aftermarket heatsink type cooler.

If the cooler is adequate enough you have no need of spinning a fan at high RPM's.

What I did with most of my units was choose heatsink style coolers that take 120mm fans because due to the larger cooling surface area the fan doesn't need to rotate as fast to accomplish the same task.

Most of my machines are overclocked yet still operate quite acceptably at temps below 54C under full load and using 120mm fans that are operating at approximately 2000 RPM give or take.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I just ordered an Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro from Scan.co.uk. It will take about a week to come.

So what would I do if I wanted to start "Crunching"?

Ask a Question