CPU keeps overheating!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
When I'm playing a game involving CPU opponents, the CPU overheats and the system cuts off. I am using AMD athlon 3800+ @ 2.4 GHZ. The game is Rayman M. AKA Rayman Rush in America.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is there anything that makes you specifically think it is the CPU overheating (i.e did you check the core temps during high loads?).

It may be worth downloading an application to check your temps and let us know what they are when your CPU is in use:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I have one, and when the game starts, the temp is low. Suddenly, the temp goes high and the sys cuts off in a flash about 30 secs into the game.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
I am using AMD athlon 3800+ @ 2.4 GHZ.
Is that a typo or is it overclocked? As the 3800 x2's run at 2.0Ghz stock. If that is correct it my be unstable or why its overheating. :)

Download Coretemp from Ians link, it logs the temps recorded in a text file and you can check it next time it does it. :thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its a single core then not an X2.

To be honest it shouldn't overheat they run pretty cool.

Whats your ventilation like in the case?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Its a single core then not an X2.
So it is, that'll teach me to rush a reply before i leave work! :blush:

Reaction score
Hmm sorry if that sounded a little sharp. I just read it again and the way I put it seems kind of rude. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not at all mate, i didn't even consider that. I was just in a rush to leave the mad house. :D

Not sure how i managed to think it was an x2 in the first place tbh?
confused005.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
It is a single core and my case has 3 vent fans and an Akasa AM2 cooler, but mine is a 939. It still cools well ind "small tasks", but in cpu power thirsty applications like games, it overheats.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Have you tried coretemp yet? see post's 2 and 4. :thumb:

Reaction score
Recently using vacuum cleaner, I blow out all the dust from a Pentium 4 machine. As a result, the temperature of CPU decreased by 6 degrees.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Don't need Core Temperature, Asus PC probe 2 came with my muvaboard, and my cpu cooler is new and has no dust in it, Chereda, but thanks anyway, my other machine is getting quite dusty.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
PC Probe is not as accurate as coretemp. and you need to log the temps someway. That way we can see how hot its getting and if it is really overheating. Coz so far you haven't actually even mentioned any exact temps yet.......

You dont need to install coretemp just unzip it and run the coretemp.exe it will sit in the system tray and you wont even notice it. Play the game if it crashes reboot and go to the temp log in the coretemp folder and see how hot its getting. If your not sure post the contents of the log here.

:)

Reaction score
We all use CoreTemp. Its not a virus. Just use it because otherwise we won't be able to fix your problem to be honest.

You said your cooler is new? Did you fit it yourself? Because you may have fitted it wrong, or it may not have enough thermal paste or anything really?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
It came with a coat of thermal paste so I just hooked it onto the frame and locked it. It also came with a temp control panel which is on full when I run games, and these are my results-
Before game - 40 - 44 degrees (Celsius)
10 secs into game - 56 degrees
30 secs - 70 degrees
40 secs - 73 degrees
50 secs 78 degrees
1.00m 80 degrees (Cutoff point) (System cuts off)

Reaction score
I just flicked through a couple of reviews for it and it doesn't seem to have any real improvement over the stcok HSF - not really a bad thin as the stock HSF is actually very good.

Perhaps you fan speed is not scaling properly to the load, or your fan setting is set very low something like that? I have no idea how to check the scaling mind, but does anyone else know if that could be a problem?

And don't run anything that can makes it cut off anymore if at all possible, as they are not supposed to run anywhere near that hot and you could bugger it.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Virus, Lol.
laughingsmiley.gif
PCR wouldn't be too popular if we kept asking people to download virus' all the time!

Captain Jack Sparrow said:
It came with a coat of thermal paste so I just hooked it onto the frame and locked it. It also came with a temp control panel which is on full when I run games, and these are my results-
Before game - 40 - 44 degrees (Celsius)
10 secs into game - 56 degrees
30 secs - 70 degrees
40 secs - 73 degrees
50 secs 78 degrees
1.00m 80 degrees (Cutoff point) (System cuts off)
Thats the result form the coretemp log? Wow, thats way too hot.

Try the following.....
Check your not running quiet fan or something similar. (In BIOS, if your confident doing so.)
Remove the side panel and make sure the fan is spinning correctly.
If you can, plug the fans three pin plug direct into the motherboard to eliminate the controller.
Reseat the heatsink if the above don't help.

:thumb:

Ask a Question