Clean Install of XP Pro (SP1) skipping preparation files

Discussion in 'Windows XP Setup' started by Helen Vines, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Helen Vines

    Helen Vines Guest

    Issues performing a 'clean' install of this XP
    Professional operating system.

    In the initial 'preparation' stage of the install, when
    booting from the CD and copying the files necessary for
    the installation to proceed, I have repeatedly encounter
    a number of errors as listed below -

    **Windows XP Professional Setup
    **The file XXXXXXXXX was not copied correctly.
    **The file Setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid
    Windows XP system image. If you are installing from a
    CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD.
    **. To retry, press ENTER.
    **If you continue to receive this message, contact your
    Windows XP supplier or system administrator.
    **. To skip this file, Press ESC.
    **CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete
    and Windows XP may not work properly.
    **. To quit Setup, press F3.

    and

    **Windows XP Professional Setup
    **Setup cannot copy file XXXXXXXXX.
    **. To retry, press ENTER.
    **If you are installing from a CD, make sure the Windows
    XP CD is in the CD drive.
    **. To skip this file, Press ESC.
    **CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete
    and Windows XP may not work properly.
    ..** To quit Setup, press F3.

    The Setup process normally (but not always) recovers from
    the former error and copies the file correctly but where
    the second error is encountered, I have found that the
    only way to continue is to skip the file.

    I have repeated the Setup process numerous times and find
    that, typically, between 4 and 10 of the Setup files are
    not copied at each attempt. The actual files which fail
    to copy change with each attempt and appear to be
    random. Some examples of the files which have not been
    copied are as follows (each bulleted line representing a
    separate attempt at installation):

    .. ntimage.gif, oembios.bin, imapi.exe,
    odbctrac.dll, rasppp.dll
    .. mdmlasat.inf, oembios.bin, proseg5.swf,
    wininet.dll, pdh.dll, spra041D.dll
    .. dmview.ocx, isconW.chm, pinball.inf, tourW.exe,
    quartz.dll, msftedit.dll
    .. ir32_32.dll, nthelp.chm, samlib.dll, rastls.dll,
    mqsnap.dll, smlogsvc.exe
    .. msvbvm60.dll, WshRm.dll, tourW.exe, user32.dll,
    zipfldr.dll
    .. printW.chm, tourW.exe, raspptp.sys, netshell.dll,
    AcGeneral.dll, sstarsscr
    .. kodak_dc.icm, merlin.acs, scriptpw.dll,
    typelib.dll, WindW.chm, ks.sys, dbghelp.dll, Acerfyr.dll,
    ss3dfo.dll
    .. inf3216.dll, resutils.dll, netbt.sys,
    dbghelp.dll, AcLayers.dll, strmdll.dll
    .. inetpp.dll, msmqconW.chm, t2embed.dll, p3.sys

    The following steps have been taken, unsuccessfully, to
    counter this problem:

    .. The disk has been re-formatted (using the FAT32
    file system).
    .. Memory caching has been disabled from within BIOS.

    I would be very grateful if you could suggest a solution
    to this problem/the appropriate next steps which I should
    take.

    Thank you for your help in this matter.

    Helen Vines, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Helen;
    Have you tried the CD on another computer?
    These symptoms often indicate a bad CD or drive.
    Is the CD an original or copy? Dom not use a copy.
    Clean both drive and CD, replace the CD drive if unable to try CD on
    another computer.

    Is it an OEM CD?

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jan 8, 2004

  3. Helen Vines

    Helen Vines Guest

    It is an original CD supplied with a Microsoft Action
    Pack. My gut feeling was that it wasn't the CD as the
    files it skipped were not the same each time.

    The CD works OK to perform an upgrade but have had this
    issue with it before on a clean install.

    I had thought about the CD drive but this has been
    recently replaced so felt that it would be unlikely that
    dirt/dust in the nmechanuism would be causing the problem.

    I will try with a different CD drive and report back....

    Thank you.

    Helen Vines, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Helen Vines

    Helen Vines Guest

    I have now tried the installation using a different CD
    drive but still encountered the same issue.

    Any further suggestions?

    Regards,
    Helen

    Helen Vines, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Helen;

    You may have memory issues.
    If you have multiple sticks of memory, try removing/swapping making
    sure to stay above Windows XP 64mb minimum.
    Also possibly a power supply issue.
    Power off, open case and reseat all cables and cards especially memory
    and power supply.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jan 8, 2004