CD-ROM not working correctly

Reaction score
My mother has a Compaq presario 500 mhz.Recently everytime you try to put a cd into the cd-rom it runs for a second then brings up this following error

An exception OE has occured at 0028:5528C0C1 in VxD---.
This was called from 0028:C1832768 in VxD scsi1hlp(03) + 00000508.
It may be possible to continue normally.

I think the Cd-rom is junk personally.If anyone has any suggestions as what it could be the info would be greatly appreciated

Ty in advance Chad

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Educated guess - the CD-ROM drive is knackered. Optical drives seem to have the shortest life of any computer components in my experience, I've had several fail on me over the years.

You could buy a CD-ROM drive cleaner, which cleans the lens, they're about seven quid, you can get them from Maplins and many other suppliers.

Could also try replacing the IDE cable.

But, should you decide to fit a new drive, here's a link to just a couple, if you search around, you may even find them cheaper. They range in price from £10.00 to £20.00.

El Linko

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This is a "software" issue with your ComCrap ...

To resolve this issue:

1. Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.
  2. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
  3. In the Named box, type scsi1hlp.vxd, and then click Find Now.
  4. In the list of found files, right-click the Scsi1hlp.vxd file that is located in the Windows\System\Iosubsys folder, and then click Rename.
  5. Type Scsi1hlp.old, press ENTER, and then restart your computer.
MS Article

Ask a Question