Dell Inspiron 1525 not working.

Reaction score
Hi

When I switch on my laptop I am getting this error message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
This error can be caused by unplugging a removable device (haven't got any) such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.
FILE: \Boot\BCD
Infor: An unexpected I/O error has occured.

As it was all preloaded I do not have any discs.

Dell Inspiron 1525 Bought Sept, 2008
Windows vista
Windows One
Wireless AOL

Having messed up my son's PC I am wary of messing this one up. son's ones ended up needing a new hard drive.
Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Sally
PS if it's electric I can mess it up.
nod.gif

Reaction score
Ok so you have no devices plugged into your machine then..?

Your laptop should hve the recovery consol already on the machine..Dell do that with all Vista installs...Erm I can't quite remeber how its done, but I think you need to shut the machine down and then power up, when it powers up, I think you need to hit F9 or F10, and it will take you to the recovery partition, from where you can do a recovery...Its pretty straight forward from there...I will have a lil look on the interweb quick to see exactly how its doen..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bubbsa33 said:
Thanks.

I have tried CTRL + F11 but nothing happened.

I believe that you need to just hit F11 or F10 or F9 without touching the Ctrl button.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Sorry are you running XP or Vista....CTRL + F11 is for XP....If Vista hit F12 as soon as you see the Dell Logo, do it quick don't wait..Follow from there...

Reaction score
Hi

Have tried F12 and ran the diagnostics whoch gave me the error message 2000 0142 couldn't find the recovery and was unable to set the thing back to the factory settings as it would not let me.
I looked up the error message which means the hard drive is kapput! Contacted Dell tech support and luckily dealt with a nice chap who has arranged for an engineer to call and replace the hard drive as well as set it all up again. But.... to do this he needs the installation discs which Dell would not supply free as system over 6 months old (it is 7mths) even though it was pre installed when delivered. Tech support have arranged to provide the discs and engineer for a little under £60.00 so although not that hard drive went after such a short while and it is not used a lot either, am happy not to be stung by Dell.
I had also tried F11, F10 & F9 beforehand but they did nothing.

Many thanks to Madxgraphics and Abarbarian for your help. Think its time I visited the local college and enrolled on a pc course.

Sally

Ask a Question