Can't write to a blank CD any longer

G

I bought my laptop just over a year ago with operating system Windows XP Home edition service pack 1 installed.

It came bundled with the ‘Nero Burning ROM Suite’ of software already installed. (Version 5.5.8.2 OEM).

I have on many occasions successfully used the software to create both music CD’s and to store general data files on different CD’s.

However, a problem has suddenly developed where I can no longer ‘see’ blank CD’s:

Firstly, when I put a blank CD in the drive it seems to ‘thrash’ around for a few minutes before stopping. (I don’t recall this ever happening for this long previously).

Then, when I try and write files to the CD drive, with the blank CD still in, the CD writing wizard gives the message: “There is no disc in the drive..Please insert a writable CD into drive D:\â€. So something has gone wrong somewhere. I have tried ejecting and replacing the CD but still the same message is given.

(If I insert a previously written to CD then I am able to succesfully see and write further data to it.)

Also, I have noticed that if I go to ‘Control Panel’ there is a ‘Nero ImageDrive’ icon. If I click this I get the windows message:, “An internal error has occurred, Error -1, The Nero ImageDrive driver is absent in the system, Please reinstall the program’. I wonder whether this is linked to the problem.

Upon a suggestion from Nero I installed a later version of the burning software but this has not changed any of the problems I mention.

I am wondering whether something has been corrupted and whether I need to reinstall another driver. If so where and how could I get one?

Also I understand that the write capability is a standard XP feature but I can’t find any other program on my computer for writing apart from the ‘Nero’.

Is it possible to revert back in some way to what would be the default XP?

I would appreciate any advice any body could give me.

D

Dana Young

Try a different brand of CDR's - this has worked for other people I know -
sometimes the simplest solution is the best...

I don't know about XP Home, but in Pro you just drag the file to the CD icon
in explorer and it will write to it just like you're saving it to another
folder. You have to click on File and choose write to disk first...hope this
helps...

Wayne said:
I bought my laptop just over a year ago with operating system Windows XP
Home edition service pack 1 installed.
It came bundled with the 'Nero Burning ROM Suite' of software already
installed. (Version 5.5.8.2 OEM).
I have on many occasions successfully used the software to create both
music CD's and to store general data files on different CD's.
However, a problem has suddenly developed where I can no longer 'see' blank CD's:

Firstly, when I put a blank CD in the drive it seems to 'thrash' around
for a few minutes before stopping. (I don't recall this ever happening for
this long previously).
Then, when I try and write files to the CD drive, with the blank CD still
in, the CD writing wizard gives the message: "There is no disc in the
drive..Please insert a writable CD into drive D:\". So something has gone
wrong somewhere. I have tried ejecting and replacing the CD but still the
same message is given.
(If I insert a previously written to CD then I am able to succesfully see and write further data to it.)

Also, I have noticed that if I go to 'Control Panel' there is a 'Nero
ImageDrive' icon. If I click this I get the windows message:, "An internal
error has occurred, Error -1, The Nero ImageDrive driver is absent in the
system, Please reinstall the program'. I wonder whether this is linked to
the problem.
Upon a suggestion from Nero I installed a later version of the burning
software but this has not changed any of the problems I mention.
I am wondering whether something has been corrupted and whether I need to
reinstall another driver. If so where and how could I get one?
Also I understand that the write capability is a standard XP feature but I
can't find any other program on my computer for writing apart from the 'Nero
'.

A

Alex Nichol

Wayne said:
However, a problem has suddenly developed where I can no longer ‘see’ blank CD’s:

Firstly, when I put a blank CD in the drive it seems to ‘thrash’ around for a few minutes before stopping. (I don’t recall this ever happening for this long previously).

Then, when I try and write files to the CD drive, with the blank CD still in, the CD writing wizard gives the message: “There is no disc in the drive..Please insert a writable CD into drive D:\â€. So something has gone wrong somewhere. I have tried ejecting and replacing the CD but still the same message is given.

This sounds like a problem with the Autoplay for the drive - that is
necessary for blanks to be detected. MSoft people have written a
program to check and fix settings for autoplay - available for one at

Http://www.bigblackglasses.com/staff/downloads/autofix.exe

Ask a Question