'Cannot Find Server' error, but can ping internet sites

Internet Explorer has stopped working. Any site I try to browse results in error: Cannot Find Server

In the past this has occurred when there is something wrong with connection to the Internet, but this time I can ping sites with no problem indicating that on that level or with DNS (ping works by site name, not just IP), but I cannot get browse to the site using IE

I recently installed software which I later found out is known to tamper with TCP/IP settings, but I don't know which setting might have been changed.

Don Varnau

Alan,
Try:
LSP-Fix (a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...

Alan S said:
Internet Explorer has stopped working. Any site I try to browse results in error: Cannot Find Server.

In the past this has occurred when there is something wrong with
connection to the Internet, but this time I can ping sites with no problem
indicating that on that level or with DNS (ping works by site name, not just
IP), but I cannot get browse to the site using IE.
I recently installed software which I later found out is known to tamper
with TCP/IP settings, but I don't know which setting might have been
changed.

Don

Thanks for your advice

I followed your link, then downloaded WinsockXPFix.exe using a link on that page, because it was specified for XP, which is the OS on the system I had to fix

WinsockXPFix.exe worked perfectly in restoring IE's browser functionality

Thanks again for your help
- Ala

----- Don Varnau wrote: ----

Alan
Try
LSP-Fix (a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.ht

Do
--
MVP IE/O
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is..
don_04[at]varnau[dot]or

Alan S said:
Internet Explorer has stopped working. Any site I try to browse result in error: Cannot Find Server
connection to the Internet, but this time I can ping sites with no proble
indicating that on that level or with DNS (ping works by site name, not jus
IP), but I cannot get browse to the site using IEwith TCP/IP settings, but I don't know which setting might have bee
changed