Auto sign in with Windows Messenger 5.0?

G

I recently upgraded from Windows Messenger 4.7 to 5.0. When I used 4.7, it would automatically sign in during boot up. With Messenger 5.0, I have to manually click on sign in after the computer is booted. Is there some way to automate the sign in process in 5.0? Thanks.

--Tim

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Tim,

I assume that Messenger is starting but just not signing in? This can occur if you've
installed MSN Messenger 6.x. To get this functionality back, close down Windows Messenger
(right-click its icon and choose Exit), then click Start, then Run, type "regedit" and then
click OK. You'll now be in the Registry Editor, if you're not familiar with it, this is
where most configuration settings in Windows end up. To fix your problem you'll need to
navigate to the My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService key (they
look like folders and navigation is the same as in Windows Explorer). After you find the
MessengerService key, click it, then click the Edit menu, then choose Delete. Confirm the
operation and now the MessengerService key should be completely gone. Then close the
registry editor, click Start, then All Programs, then Windows Messenger. Then, you'll need
to sign in to both of your services one more time manually (type your login/password) into
Windows Messenger, and after this it will once again log on automatically.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Tim said:
I recently upgraded from Windows Messenger 4.7 to 5.0. When I used 4.7, it would
automatically sign in during boot up. With Messenger 5.0, I have to manually click on sign in
after the computer is booted. Is there some way to automate the sign in process in 5.0?
Thanks.

Ask a Question