Zone Alarm Running Amuck:((

Reaction score
Hello Eleetists:

Good Day To all, I have Recently got XP pro Up and going not without a fair amount of problems.....
I then Proceeded to install ZA I currently hold a subscription key and upon reinstalling it started to run an
update of av/as definitions and it reported task completed but the update box would not shut down no matter what I did then it proceeded to max out my CPU, I finally had to hit the power button..... Crash... no surprize there lol. And Ive scince re-installed and it was working fine on one desk top but I just logged on to my alternate and the same thing happend and It had already updated definitions earlier and True Vector clamped down like a Mad pitt bull and refused to let go I had to shut down w/ power button once again then
I got the windows error.."Windows had an error that it couldent recover from and had to obtain a registry file from a back up...it then booted I logged on to the same account and Immediatly tryed to Unistall ZA i got it done the restarted and upon shut down It blue Screened me and said amoung other things that windows shut down to prevent damage to your computer and also said if the problem persists to turn off any caching and or Shadowing in Bios and kernel dumped on the bottom of the screen with a long error number that vanished before I could jot it down:((.. Upon reboot I recieved the same registry error listed above and off when an error report to microsoft~ And So... Oh also before I installed ZA i noticed that if I opted to shut down completely it would never completely shut down on its own ..it would finish on a black screen with a Windows Logo in the center and a message on the bottom saying .."It is now Safe to turn off you Computer"...WTF?! I am Also Curently SUffering Very Very Long shut down Screens And Slightly shorter boot up black screens...btw Microsoft seems to think the problem was caused by a driver... go figure ...lol

Any Suggested Course of action would be greeted warmly at this juncture:p

Thank You StarChild.exe:confused:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm quite confused as to what could be causing that, so it might be worth trying another type of firewall?

V_R made a great list of essential software applications here, including firewalls:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2697599.php

Comodo
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
PC Magazine Online's Editor's Choice, Secures against internal and external attacks. Its free, has some minor quirks, is better than ZA free in Mucks' opinion.

Kerio
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
No other single product class seems to cause as much angst to average users in their installation and day-to-day use as Firewalls. For such users Kerio Personal Firewall is my top recommendation, as it seems to cause the fewest problems yet manages excellent protection as well. Note that the free and paid versions of Sunbelt Kerio are the same. If you don't buy the product some advanced features are automatically turned off after 30 days.

Reaction score
Thank You Ian

I'll Do just that.. btw once I uninstalled ZA my computer speeded right up on shut down, However one thing thats puzzling me is before I ever installed ZA if I opted to shut down instead of restart it would finish up on a black screen with a windows Logo in the center and the message under it says "It Safe to turn off your Computer Now":confused: and I would have to hold down the Power button to shut down...
wallbash.gif

Sys: Alienware Area51 7700m
XP Pro COA OS
MoBo D900T 5.2B Clevo
P4 3.6JGHZ 1MB 800FSB LGA775
Patriot 1GB DDR2 PC4200 SO-DIMM x2
Transcend 1GB DDR2 PC4200 SO-DIMMx2
D900T ATI M28 w/256MB Module Video Card
Seagate 100GB 7200RPM 8MB cache
24xDVD CD-RW Combo QSI
8xDVD+/-RW NEC Optical Drive One
Intel Mobile Intergrated High Definition Audio Sound Card

Peace ~N~ Goodwill StarChild.exe:cool:

Reaction score
Ian I am 99% sure You Nailed It :)

By reading the link you posted, it all makes sense now and the probability is very high that 1 or 2 of these problems apply to my problem directly, I am gonna get into it in a bit and I'll let you know of the results

Thanks Ian
bowdown.gif

Ask a Question