Zb Thumbnails

Reaction score
My wife and I recently completed a 3 year cruise around Australia on our yacht. During that time we took over 6000 photographs on a Pentax Optima digital camera.

Now, I have absolutely no idea how this has happened but these photos which were jpegs are suddenly on my computer as Zb Thumbnails and, unfortunately we have lost the backup discs when we moved from our boat into our new house.

No matter what I have tried I cannot open the thumbnails.

It is my understanding that Zb Thumbnails are a file that Canon use in their digital camera software. I have downloaded Zoombrowser which is the programme I believe you need to open Canon digital photographs. This is the closest I have got to recovering the photos as when I tried to open the pictures I get a message that says the photos are 0.0 Format and need to be 8.0 Format.

I have tried to contact Canon with no luck. I have, also, subscribed to some websites that I thought may be able to help to no avail.

I have downloaded several programmes, both freeware and on a trial basis, to see if they will open the photographs all to no avail. I have tried the various file conversion programmes, also, to no avail.

As I have never had a Canon digital camera or Canon photography software on my computer I am extremely bemused.

We can no longer sail as my wife has a severe spinal problem and, therefore, the photographs are even more precious, we cannot repeat the trip!

Has anyone any ideas?.

Reaction score
MikeBCC said:
My wife and I recently completed a 3 year cruise around Australia on our yacht. During that time we took over 6000 photographs on a Pentax Optima digital camera.

Now, I have absolutely no idea how this has happened but these photos which were jpegs are suddenly on my computer as Zb Thumbnails and, unfortunately we have lost the backup discs when we moved from our boat into our new house.

No matter what I have tried I cannot open the thumbnails.

It is my understanding that Zb Thumbnails are a file that Canon use in their digital camera software. I have downloaded Zoombrowser which is the programme I believe you need to open Canon digital photographs. This is the closest I have got to recovering the photos as when I tried to open the pictures I get a message that says the photos are 0.0 Format and need to be 8.0 Format.

I have tried to contact Canon with no luck. I have, also, subscribed to some websites that I thought may be able to help to no avail.

I have downloaded several programmes, both freeware and on a trial basis, to see if they will open the photographs all to no avail. I have tried the various file conversion programmes, also, to no avail.

As I have never had a Canon digital camera or Canon photography software on my computer I am extremely bemused.

We can no longer sail as my wife has a severe spinal problem and, therefore, the photographs are even more precious, we cannot repeat the trip!

Has anyone any ideas?.

Hi Mike
The ZB Thumbnail is a data file, not an actual picture, hence you been unable to open it. When you downloaded the pictures from your camera to your PC, did you do it via USB cable or did you use a card reader to transfer the images ? You could try using a program like Recuva. Dowload the program and scan your computer for the images. THen connecty your camera via USB and scan the camera. Or insert your Memory card into a card reader and scan. Its a pretty decent program. I have recovered images and music off HDD's that have been reformated and images off memory cards that have been formatted. I hope this is of use to you. Best of luck.. :thumb:

P.S Welcoem to the forum :wave: :wave:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Out of interest, how big is a single ZB file?

Reaction score
Thanks Madxgraphics for your information.

I will try the programmes you suggested and see where this gets me.

MikeBCC

Ask a Question