Windows XP You've got company

Reaction score
Hi,

I know we all love AOL so thought i would ask a quick question about it. Someone was asking me what it means when you sign in and it says "you've got company". Ive never used it so ive got no idea.

Anyone actually know what it means?

Cheers.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
when that pops up it means there's a knife-wielding homicdial maniac one metre behind you :eek:

it's a warning

seriously, I got no idea but presumably it probably means you have a 'buddy' in any chat rooms you frequent

just a guess

Reaction score
Yeah, i asked them if they were on instand messaging but said no. He said it kinda creeped him out, i guess it is kinda like:- "are you alone in the house?".

Anyone actually KNOW what the hell it is? It just seems creepy.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
haha, that does sound very creepy actually. Perhaps it is to scare the kids who use AOL to be good :D

It does mean that someone on the AOL Instant Message list is online apparently - I've just googled for it and came up with this.

Reaction score
Yeah, i've used AOL messenger in the past, and the "you have company" message is another strange way of saying, a buddy is online.

Chris,

Reaction score
Cool, i can let them know that there isn't someone stalking them then!! It is just a bit on the creepy side. How did someone not notice when they were developing it?!!!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I will say this (at the risk of being ridiculed).

If you're on dial-up AOL ain't really too bad.

I was with AOL for 5 or 6 years on dial-up.

The main reason was that for 16 quid a month I had full access to the net 24/7 and no limits on downloads. That meant when I downloaded MS SP1, I didn't get cut off. Took me something like 10 hours but hey, I got it :)

At the time, every other ISP would cut you off after two hours or so and also limit your downloads each month.

So they not so bad.

What is bad about AOL is their own browser, it infests your OS worse than Nortons, files manage to creep in everywhere. Helluva job to uninstall.

I used to open AOL, minimise it and then use IE6 or Opera (at that time) a much better way of browsing.

So, although it's kinda fasionable to sneer at and mock AOL, they ain't all bad. Oh, and their help service is good as well, believe it or not.

I'm with zen.co.uk now though, I did consider AOL for Broadband but they specifically emphasised that their broadband service was 'unsuitable for online gaming'. So they mugged themselves.

Ask a Question