Your best overclock?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, I've suddenly been overcome by a strange compulsion, I wanna get to 3 Gig :D

So, Ian, did you just up the fsb on yours?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Alright, I've suddenly been overcome by a strange compulsion, I wanna get to 3 Gig :D

So, Ian, did you just up the fsb on yours?

Yep, just upped the FSB - that guide pretty much sums it up (I've got the P5K, but it's very similar). :thumb:

Reaction score
Ahh nice V_R just what im looking for i think :D i have a different motherboard but i suspect most of the stuff will be the same so im gonna give that a good read ;)

Cheers Lee.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks V_R, I think it was you who gave me that link before but I seemed to have lost it.

It was either yourself or Adywebb anyway.

I have now cut and pasted the whole thing to a Word document, had to do the pix seperately as they were so big and resize them within Word. Just about to hit the 'print' button as that looks like a good guide.

Geezer's got a pucka name as well...... :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That was a bit of a frightener :eek:

I checked I had latest Bios - I did.

Went into Bios and saw CPU was unlocked but highest multiplier was 9 which gives me 9 x 266 = 2.4Ghz. That's unlocked? :confused:

Set PCI Clock to 33.33 as recommended in that article. Left everything else on auto.

Set fsb to 340 so 9 x 340 = 3Ghz.

When I hit F10 and re booted the PC actually shut down and then started up again by itself sortta thing, that's never happened before.

And then it took a full five minutes to get into Vista. All my BOINC WU's were messed up, I had 6 completed units that were all about 2 minutes long ready to report.

Five minutes later, things were still loading. So I decided to reboot. After waiting for the apropiate button to pop up I hit restart.

Ten minutes later I was still waiting for it to restart so I hit the reset button.

Went into the Bios and put all to how it was, rebooted, got prompt from Vista saying it wasn't shut down correctly and chose 'Start Normal' and now it's all running fine again.

Bugger that for a game of soldiers :eek:

I guess I'm just not lucky with my overclocks lately :(

Wonder why it doesn't work for me?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The E6600's are unlock only downwards, i think its the Extreme edition chips that are fully unlocked. :)

floppybootstomp said:
When I hit F10 and re booted the PC actually shut down and then started up again by itself sortta thing, that's never happened before.
If by that you mean the fans etc stopped for a second or two, thats normal on the P5B-D and most other newer Asus boards apparently. I remember reading about it when mine did exactly the same, gave me a heart attack when it first did it! lol

IIRC its when you change the FSB or CPU voltage that it does the 'double start up' Have a Google around, you'll soon find other that had the same issue. :)

Shame you didn't have any joy, maybe your RAM timings were too tight? You should set as much of it as you can to manual rather than auto if its any help.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the info V_R, I suspected that might be the case with the paused start, thanks for confirming it and yes, it did make me worry a bit.

I've never really understood RAM timings although I have noted the timing of my own Corsair memory, they're 4-4-4-12 and it operates on 1.8 to 2.2V. What that means though I have not a clue nor do I know where to change the settings.

To be honest as everybody has always said '...and the 6600 will easily overclock to 3Ghz...' I thought it would just be a case of upping the fsb. If it isn't then I honestly don't feel comfortable with it.

I am a bit disappointed though, but there ya go, not too big a deal :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this and I may give it another shot but I am, perhaps understandably, a little nervous :D

Here's some screen shots of my settings (new version out of CPU-Z, btw, V1.44):

Any advice?

001cpu.jpg

002cache.jpg

003mainboard.jpg

004memory.jpg

005spd.jpg

006about.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm currently at 2.6Ghz and don't seem to be suffering any issues.

Except, I suppose, CPU temp has gone from 37C to 43C.

I upped Memory voltage from 1.8V to 1.9V and changed fsb to 290.

Seems to be holding steady but it did crash 2 x BOINC work units again although the new WU's are happily churning away atm.

attachment.php

Note that the Dram frequency has gone from 400 to 435.

attachment.php

Attachments

• oc2cpu.jpg
    oc2cpu.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 194
  • oc2memory.jpg
    oc2memory.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 216

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My P5K does the weird shutdown-restart too - that confused me the first time too :)

I've just seen you set it to 340Mhz FSB before, if you try 333 you should be able to get the system running with memory timings just the same as they are at 266Mhz using the divider options (although it will probably do it on auto OK). That might help you hit 3Ghz, as it could have been the ram having problems.

Reaction score
apparently the chaps at amd oc'd a phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition up to 7ghz using "extreme cooling" probably not available to us, but i have heard of hobbyists getting 6.5ghz, don't know how or if its even true though as i haven't seen it myself.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
lacerveza said:
apparently the chaps at amd oc'd a phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition up to 7ghz using "extreme cooling" probably not available to us, but i have heard of hobbyists getting 6.5ghz, don't know how or if its even true though as i haven't seen it myself.

Tis true, with the aid of nitrogen most systems will run at silly speeds.

It is not, however, financially viable.

Ask a Question