AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition Overclocking

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
HardOCP take a look at overclocking the AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition CPU, running at a stock speed of 2.3Ghz. It managed to reach 3.0Ghz, but 2.8Ghz on air cooling is a more likely scenario:

"The retail AMD Phenom Black Edition processors look to have just as much overclocking appeal as our engineering samples if not more. 3GHz from what will hopefully be a $240 quad-core processor is nothing to sneeze at. For you AMD brand loyalists, or if you are just an enthusiast looking to head down the road less traveled, the Phenom Black Edition is the AMD processor you want. And let's be clear, if you want to experiment with overclocking on the Phenom, the Black Edition is the only Phenom that is likely going to meet your needs."

Find out more at HardOCP.

Attachments

• phenom.jpg
    phenom.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,345

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
In the UK the price is the same as the Intel Q6600 which overclocks on air easily to at least 3.4GHz and up to around 3.8GHz.

The Phenom only makes sense as an upgrade for those with AM2 boards, otherwise the Q6600 is far better value.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I totally agree :thumb: The Q6600 is an incredible value CPU when clocked at 3.0Ghz - about 5 of my friends now run this setup, which in turn was recommended to me by you :nod:

If only Intel gave out commission :lol:

Reaction score
I can understand overclocking of low spec Pentiums in the old days.
But with CPU speeds on the increase is it now not needed so much?

That said my current pc may get overclocked when i buy a replacement.
Just to see the fun i used to have.:nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
feckit said:
I can understand overclocking of low spec Pentiums in the old days.
But with CPU speeds on the increase is it now not needed so much?

That said my current pc may get overclocked when i buy a replacement.
Just to see the fun i used to have.:nod:
It's not needed, but why not overclock ;)

The Q6600 is easily capable of 3.0Ghz on air cooling alone, so it's just like getting some "free" power :)

Reaction score
I always thought clocking was what you did on a car you were selling to a gulerable punter.
Only 55k on this i swear on my wifes life sir.
Can you tell why i've been divorced 3 times!!

Ask a Question