You do not have Exclusive acces to the database at this time?????

I have users in a mutiluser environment that are getting "You do not have
Exclusive acces to the database at this time. If you make changes, you may
not be able to proceed." spiratically when trying to save a record that is
being edited. If they close the form their edits are saved in the database.
I am stumped...

The database is using access security and is set to to a default open mode
of shared. The users have read/write access to the drive the database is
located and have edit capabilites within the access security.

I am an intermediate user of Access 2002 and basically self taught thru
trial and error along with help screens and the Access 2002 Bible, so please
bear with me.

In older versions of access, I was able to make DESIGN changes to forms and
reports, etc. while other users were in the same database.

Somewhere along the line this seems to have changed.

Now everyone has to be out of the database in order for me to make DESIGN
changes to objects.

So now, when I want to make DESIGN changes, I open it Exclusively myself in
order to know that no one else is in it, or is going to be in it while I'm in
it.

I have a cheap little hack that tells me who is in the database - when the
database opens it writes the user's name to a text file, and does the same
when they exit (using the exit on a form I created).

There are more complex tools out there that will tell you who is in the db
so you can tell them to get out so you can work on it, but I just use the
writing to a text file on Open & Exit:

Open "X:\log.txt" for output as #1
Print #1, User & Time & Date
Close #1

You know, this kind of thing

My problem isn't that the users are trying to modify forms they are getting
the message when they try to update a record thru an existing form.

Chris Mills

spiratically
I remind myself to never stop learning. But what the heck is "spiratically"?

Does it mean you spit whilst you're programming, spit sporadically, or perhaps
spirant ("uttered with a continuous expulsion of breath") spire ("the
continuation of a tree-trunk...etc") spirillum ("any bacterium with a
rigid..."), or maybe you just mean "aspire".

NO-ONE should be making DESIGN changes to a live database. I mean, WHERE IS
YOUR BACKUP THEN. Live design changes were actually allowed prior to A2000,
and it is GOOD if they have now disallowed it.

Get a proper off-line design environment system. <shudder>

Chris

Thanks for your kind words Chris and helpful advise on spelling :(
Unfortunately you did not provide any detail on how to help me with my issue.
I thought this was a place to go for help at all levels. This is a very
small operation and we don't have the expertise we need to at this point.
That is why I am posting. Anyway to explain further....

The users are NOT trying to make design changes. The users are simply
trying to edit a record and get the message. All design changes are made to
the backup database and then moved into the production database by the admin.

Chris Mills

Sorry, I may have been reading several posts whilst answering one. It happens.

I have never heard of exclusive access being required to edit a record. If
you're getting that, I would be thinking of looking at Record Locking options
(Tools, Options, Advanced). But I wasn't aware it would cause your message. I
typically use "no locks".

Chris