@#$%! Yahoo!

Searcher7

There is nothing worse than when you install an app and it adds a lot
of crap that you don't want bogging down your system or screwing up
your GUI.

I downloaded and installed VLC Player, which is one of three that I
use depending on what issues I'm having at the time.

Even though the installation process pretended to give you the option
to *not* install certain things, Yahoo in particular has basically
taken over my system.

I changed the top right search field back to Google, deleted Yahoo! in
Add.Remove programs, and returned my homepage back to Google, but I
still have "Yahoo!" on my Menu bar and it is the Yahoo! search page
that comes up when I open up a new window or tab.

I wish XP had some sort of security against something like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

SC Tom

Searcher7 said:
[...]

Most of the programs I've installed that also *tried* to install Yahoo! and
all it's associated crap had at least 2 or 3 checkboxes that had to be
unchecked before continuing if I *didn't* want it. Forget one box and you're
screwed. Did you uninstall ALL Yahoo! instances in Add/Remove, including
Search? If worse comes to worst, uninstall VLC and try again. Or uninstall
VLC then do a System Restore to a point in time before it was initially
installed (Windows may have created a restore point for then anyhow).

YOU are the security against such things :) There's no way for Windows to
know whether you want it or not.

N. Miller

"Searcher7" wrote in message
There is nothing worse than when you install an app and it adds a lot
of crap that you don't want bogging down your system or screwing up
your GUI.

I downloaded and installed VLC Player, which is one of three that I
use depending on what issues I'm having at the time.

Even though the installation process pretended to give you the option
to *not* install certain things, Yahoo in particular has basically
taken over my system.

I changed the top right search field back to Google, deleted Yahoo! in
Add.Remove programs, and returned my homepage back to Google, but I
still have "Yahoo!" on my Menu bar and it is the Yahoo! search page
that comes up when I open up a new window or tab.

I wish XP had some sort of security against something like this.

Any ideas?

For the tabs, is this Internet Explorer, or which browser? If IE, which
version?

Because, if IE8, I don't have access to that version to test. I'd suspect
that Yahoo! has added, or changed, your browser start page to Yahoo! Search,
so you will have to use your Options menu to restore it to whatever page you
want your browser to open to.

I would think that Yahoo! on the menu bar would be the BHO, which should be
listed in Add/Remove programs. Perhaps a better description on your part
will result in a better response to that one.

Searcher7

Most of the programs I've installed that also *tried* to install Yahoo! and
all it's associated crap had at least 2 or 3 checkboxes that had to be
unchecked before continuing if I *didn't* want it. Forget one box and you're
screwed. Did you uninstall ALL Yahoo! instances in Add/Remove, including
Search? If worse comes to worst, uninstall VLC and try again. Or uninstall
VLC then do a System Restore to a point in time before it was initially
installed (Windows may have created a restore point for then anyhow).

YOU are the security against such things :) There's no way for Windows to
know whether you want it or not.

I thought I post a link, nevertheless here it is:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Screen Shots/Yahoo.jpg

As I said, in order to install VLC you have to also take Yahoo!. They
appear to give you a choice, but no matter how many boxes you un check
Yahoo will install anyway.

I use VLC Player when I'm trying to get around issues with KMPlayer,
(And vice versa). Real Player and Windows media Player are pretty much
garbage.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Patok

Searcher7 said:
As I said, in order to install VLC you have to also take Yahoo!. They
appear to give you a choice, but no matter how many boxes you un check
Yahoo will install anyway.

The previous versions of VLC maybe did not have that problem. The one I have
installed here is 0.9.4, and there's no Yahoo crap installed.

I use VLC Player when I'm trying to get around issues with KMPlayer,
(And vice versa). Real Player and Windows media Player are pretty much
garbage.

I mostly use Media player classic - it is part of the K-lite codec pack,
which everybody should have installed anyway - and BSplayer. Especially BSplayer
has the nice property of being able to add all video files in a folder to its
playlist, once you start it with any of them. I haven't found such an option on
any of the others (but maybe I'm just slow).

SC Tom

Searcher7 said:
I thought I post a link, nevertheless here it is:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Screen Shots/Yahoo.jpg

As I said, in order to install VLC you have to also take Yahoo!. They
appear to give you a choice, but no matter how many boxes you un check
Yahoo will install anyway.

I use VLC Player when I'm trying to get around issues with KMPlayer,
(And vice versa). Real Player and Windows media Player are pretty much
garbage.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I don't know what to say. I downloaded the latest version in 7zip format,
extracted it to a folder on my C: drive, and have no Yahoo! anything in IE
or anywhere else. Maybe it's built into the installer? Or it's a Firefox
thing?
Uninstall it, download the 7zip file, and install it that way and see what
happens :)

Nil

I don't know what to say. I downloaded the latest version in 7zip
format, extracted it to a folder on my C: drive, and have no
Yahoo! anything in IE or anywhere else. Maybe it's built into the
installer? Or it's a Firefox thing?
Uninstall it, download the 7zip file, and install it that way and
see what happens :)

I don't know what he's talking about, either. I have the latest VLC
player installed, installed using the installer. I have no sign of any
Yahoo toolbars or addons. I don't specifically remember the install,
but if I had been presented with any option to install one, I would
have declined.

I can only conclude that he screwed up.

Paul

Nil said:
I don't know what he's talking about, either. I have the latest VLC
player installed, installed using the installer. I have no sign of any
Yahoo toolbars or addons. I don't specifically remember the install,
but if I had been presented with any option to install one, I would
have declined.

I can only conclude that he screwed up.

What if you download VLC from a site like Softpedia ? Some
of the downloader sites, have been known to attach their
own "payload" to a download, and this can account for some
people reporting "no problem", while others get whacked.

That's why it's important to quote the URL where the
download came from. The source could account for the
problem.

Paul

Nil

What if you download VLC from a site like Softpedia ? Some
of the downloader sites, have been known to attach their
own "payload" to a download, and this can account for some
people reporting "no problem", while others get whacked.

I've heard of that, but I've never seen it myself. Does the host site
actually alter the install file?!? That's pretty underhanded.
That's why it's important to quote the URL where the
download came from. The source could account for the
problem.

For sure. I always go to the source site. I avoid those software
catalog sites. Don't trust 'em.