XPe SP2 with Domain Participation losing after 30 days

• Thread starter Debbie Giuliano
  • Start date
D

Debbie Giuliano

BlankHello,

I had an issue awhile ago with domain joining with Xpe units. I use the Ram-Reg EWF. I spoke to Microsoft on this issue and they gave me a patch that included

EWF Registry Filter hotfix -Q871225
Enhanced Write Filter hotfix - Q871226
EWF manager console application hotfix - Q871226
Enhanced Write Filter API hotfix - Q871226

The issue was that every thirty-days the domain exchanges a secret password to the thin client and with EWF enabled you lose it when the unit reboots. The patch also solved the issue with Terminal Server and licenses. The patch looks for certain keys in the registry and when there is a change saves it. All worked fine with this patch until I upgraded to service pack 2 and now the issue is back. I use the SLX file that was previously used and all four components mentioned above are still there but there is a difference. The enhanced write filter no longer shows a hotfix and neither does the manage console application but they are service pack 2 as I checked them on the description. However, the patch that was supplied no longer works. I tried to apply the QFE microsoft sent to me previously and the two components mentioned above do not show the hotfix. For the time being I am disabling the check on the thin client end to bypass this issue. Has anyone encountered this yet in SP2 or does anybody know how I can fix it or if there is an extra component that I need to add to get this working.

Thanks,

Debbie Giuliano

K

KM

BlankDebbie,

I didn't know the EWF Registry filter patch was officially released. The Q871225 doesn't seem to be published on Microsoft support site.
However, I do know that EWF version in SP2 does not have the functionality of the Registry filter.

You have a choice:
- Find out (with Microsoft, I guess) whether the SP2 version of the Registry Filter patch is available. Let us know if it is. Some of us here would probably interested in the patch.

- Go back to SP1 version of EWF. It is possible even with SP2 version of the Configuration. You just don't have to upgrade the EWF components (and make sure that those EWF Hotfixes you mentioned are in database).

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

Hello,

I had an issue awhile ago with domain joining with Xpe units. I use the Ram-Reg EWF. I spoke to Microsoft on this issue and they gave me a patch that included

The issue was that every thirty-days the domain exchanges a secret password to the thin client and with EWF enabled you lose it when the unit reboots. The patch also solved the issue with Terminal Server and licenses. The patch looks for certain keys in the registry and when there is a change saves it. All worked fine with this patch until I upgraded to service pack 2 and now the issue is back. I use the SLX file that was previously used and all four components mentioned above are still there but there is a difference. The enhanced write filter no longer shows a hotfix and neither does the manage console application but they are service pack 2 as I checked them on the description. However, the patch that was supplied no longer works. I tried to apply the QFE microsoft sent to me previously and the two components mentioned above do not show the hotfix. For the time being I am disabling the check on the thin client end to bypass this issue. Has anyone encountered this yet in SP2 or does anybody know how I can fix it or if there is an extra component that I need to add to get this working.

Thanks,

Debbie Giuliano

K

KM

BlankSlobodan,
Debbie,

Like Konstantin said we do not know about these component, but we sure would like to know about them.
Actually, I knew about the new Filter but I didn't know it was officially released.
A public discussion was here: http://groups-beta.google.com/group...a3823390c8b/528653cd86d6d334#528653cd86d6d334

I thought we may expect it to come up late in 2005 but I will let Microsoft folks to comment on that.

--
Regards,
Konstantin
Anyhow since these are not released yet all your questions should be directed to MS contact that provided you with component. Try giving them as much as possible information's about the problem.

Regards,
Slobodan

Debbie,

I didn't know the EWF Registry filter patch was officially released. The Q871225 doesn't seem to be published on Microsoft support site.
However, I do know that EWF version in SP2 does not have the functionality of the Registry filter.

You have a choice:
- Find out (with Microsoft, I guess) whether the SP2 version of the Registry Filter patch is available. Let us know if it is. Some of us here would probably interested in the patch.

- Go back to SP1 version of EWF. It is possible even with SP2 version of the Configuration. You just don't have to upgrade the EWF components (and make sure that those EWF Hotfixes you mentioned are in database).

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

Hello,

Thanks,

Debbie Giuliano

Ask a Question