XP workgroup: Must host passwords match client passwords?

Teresa

In Windows XP Professional, do the client PCs have to
match the hosts usernames & passwords to communicate?
This would mean individuals must submit their passwords
to the host administrator to set passwords up on the
host. This is what I am being told, but it is not very
secure.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Behavior of Stored User Names and Passwords
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q281660

Windows XP Password Issues
http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/53/3556.html?1034959826

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Teresa" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| In Windows XP Professional, do the client PCs have to
| match the hosts usernames & passwords to communicate?
| This would mean individuals must submit their passwords
| to the host administrator to set passwords up on the
| host. This is what I am being told, but it is not very
| secure.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Teresa said:
In Windows XP Professional, do the client PCs have to
match the hosts usernames & passwords to communicate?
This would mean individuals must submit their passwords
to the host administrator to set passwords up on the
host. This is what I am being told, but it is not very
secure.

Well, you don't have to have all accounts/passwords on all computers, but
it's a PITA to share data without it. The NTFS permissions on the 'host'
computer can be set to allow only local users X, Y, or Z and exclude A and B
if you wish. Frankly, workgroups aren't designed for security - if you need
true security, look into putting in a server OS and a domain for centralized
account management and security.