XP won't delete NAV fldrs after uninstall

W

wham

I just installed XP, upgraded from Me. Norton AntiVirus 2004 said it had a
license problem and I should uninstall, which I did with Add/Remove
Programs. Re-installing NAV, it says it sees an older version and won't
install. I can't delete the Norton or Symantec folders because it says some
dll's are being used. Task manager says no NAV or other Symantec program is
running. How can I delete these folders?
Thanks

G

I am having the same problem, and as the days go by there appears to be additional drivers that my system can not find and additional operations that are nothing but pain. I seem to spend hours trying to investigate as to why this is happening and I am only more frustrated.

However my situation is somewhat different from yours: I have had Windows Xp in this system for over two years and this problem arrived upon upgrading my Norton Ativirus to NIS 2004. Is appears (and I am not a computer expert) that Norton has taken control over some of the systems drivers and they are not accessable unless norton is running.

To contribute more to this problem is that Norton states that it must be "uninstalled and then reinstalled". However, I can not install or uninstall Norton unless I am logged in with "Supervisor Acess". Supervisor Acess can only be obtained when the program is opened. I am logged in as the computer Administrator and have no luck in deleting or installing.

I have been working on this for 10 days now, trying all that is possible

Hope that someone can give some advice that will help clear this mess up.

G

This sounds very familiar... I too have been working on this, for at least 10-days. I contacted Symantec and they told me to call Microsoft. In my case it appears that NIS 2004 has a problem with the Windows Installer ver 2. I only get to 1/3 of the NIS install and it halts every time at config.msi. I am going nuts with this, please let me know if you find anything out, I'll do the same

Bert

G

Symantec website has pretty good instructions on uninstalling.

Delete your temp files, delete all NIS folders manually, and most important use regedit to carefully delete the NIS registry folders. Delete yout temp files using %temp% in the "Run" window.

Ask a Question