XP Will Not Boot Up Correctly

G

Hi,

I think I'm asking this question the wrong way in forums. Here, I will try it again:

XP will ONLY load fully if I run ChkDsk c: /F(ix) on each startup. Otherwise the boot process gets to the black screen with the XP colored flag logo and then simply
starts rebooting all over again. BUT, it doesn't just reboot, it acts as if the power was turned off and then goes to a normal check disk. THEN it loads fully. Weird????

There are no error messages or warnings or alerts. It simply won't load correctly.

Can anyone help me to figure this out? Thanks much.

DeeAitch

G

Two things you can do to get an error message or code, which will help solve your issue are, turn on error reporting, and turn off the automatically restart your computer...
To do these, first go to Start>My Computer.right click>properties>advance>startup and recovery settings. Make sure there is a check mark next to 'write an event to the system log' and 'send n admin. aleert. Then, clear the check next to automatically restart.
Then, to view the error log, go to
Start>Control panel>admin. tools>event viewer. Look through all 3 , Appication, Sysytem, and security.
Anything that has anything to do with an error will either have a yellow exclaimtion mark, or a red circle with a white X in it. Click on any of those, which will give a brief explanation of the error, and you can also click on the link which will bring you to a page with more information.

G

Thanks Ivee,

I will try your first idea. That should be easy to figure out. What your saying is that when I restart the computer, some kind of error message will pop up and I can use that to define the problem? Makes sense. There were some error messages initially. This whole thing started when I tried and failed to get an SB Audigy 2ZS soundcard installed. I tried and failed 4 times.

As for the Event Viewer, there are all kinds of errors in there but none that I have been able to work with.

Under "System" there are acpi errors - Advanced Config and Power Interface, something refered to as DCOM and also W32TIME. Under "Application" there are Windows Product Activation errors, Volume Shadow Copy Service errors and "userenv" - windows could not unload the user profile - errors.

That stuff is meaningless to me because the info I get from these doesn't tell me why the system will boot up and run normally with a check disk but NOT without a check disk. It doesn't tell me why I find this KernelFaultCheck %systemroot% file in my system start up files when it was never there before - no one else seems to know why it's there either, though, so I guess it will remain a puzzle.

Unless I can get some real pointed advice, I'm going to zero out the HDD and then do a fresh install of Windows2000 and run with that until I'm ready to buy a new box. All I have is the Update version of XP and I'm a little wary of trying a repair install with some obvois Registry problems - at least that's what I think.

Thanks for your advice, though. I will let you know what I come up with.

DeeAitch

Ask a Question