XP system32 problem please help

Reaction score
So AVG deleted an infected system32 file and my computer will no longer start. Continues to restart never loading windows, i put my xp disc in and instead of repairing it installed a new windows and i no longer have the product key only the disc. Is there any way to get back to my old system? and fix the problem that avg deleted? Please help!!

Reaction score
If you look around the back of your pc you should find a microsoft label with your product key printed on it.
Regarding getting back to your old system...if you have installed a new windows, you have most likely wiped your old system but i couldnt say for sure.
I'm sure some of the other members here will be able to clarify that for you. You may be able to recover some of your folders and files using some software recovery apps like recuva etc.
Oh and welcome to PCReview
happywave.gif

Reaction score
yeah but it will not go anywhere besides a black screen with a really large cursor. The windows black page will come up while it is loading after that the page with only cursor appears. I can move the cursor but nothing else appears or will happen. I was up all night working on it and really exhausted all my options that i thought would work..

Reaction score
amad3202 said:
So AVG deleted an infected system32 file and my computer will no longer start. Continues to restart never loading windows, i put my xp disc in and instead of repairing it installed a new windows and i no longer have the product key only the disc. Is there any way to get back to my old system? and fix the problem that avg deleted? Please help!!

In short the answer to you question is no. As you have done a new install you will need you Product Key to Activate XP. Without that you are snookered. Best bet is to buy a new copy of XP or go for one of the many Linux Distro's available.

Ask a Question