Windows XP lost file Sndvol32.exe (volume control)

Reaction score
A registry clean (using the new AVG 2013) wiped the Volume Control file - Sndvol32.exe file out of System32.
Sound itself works fine, just no volume control icon in the Task Bar. It cannot be reinstated from the Control Panel because the file is missing.
I have a Windows XP Pro disc (not a recovery disc) but do not know how to copy the DOS files (Sndvol32 files) from it to my windows system.
Can anyone advise please. :confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Did you try the 'fix it' that pops up out of interest?

Reaction score
Somebody has suggested that the reason I cannot expand the sndvol32.ex files from cd is because it is a Windows XP Pro disc without Service Pack 3 and that as the computer does have SP3, it won't open the files.
Does that sound right?
nb. Acer do not supply a recovery disc with the laptop.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
So long as it is XP Pro you have on your machine and an XP pro CD you have, it makes no difference what Service Pack it is.

Anyway have you tried as I suggest and done a repair install ?

Reaction score
No I haven't tried that yet, it looks a bit daunting but manageable.
I suppose I need to decide if it's worth the effort just to get the volume control icon back.
I can always open the Realtec console to control sound. In fact I hadn't thought of that, I can put it on my desktop.
Although I do know more computer stuff than the average, I'm by no means an expert, so I'm always wary of doing more harm than good. I usually go by 'if it does what I want, don't touch it'. Which is why I don't buy updated versions of things if what I have works fine. I broke my own rules with AVG though and look where it's got me!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
what does "stack overflow problem in line 0" mean?

It is a JavaScript error related to the website you are visiting.
And it would probably be better to start your own thread. You will get more help :D

Ask a Question