Windows XP xp system restore not working

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to XP. System restore calendar shows check points, automatic & manual (whether any data is stored I don't know) but when I try to restore to a previous point, the system just sits (does not re-start) & when after half an hour I give up - the new "restoration" point is added, but nothing has happened. Manual restore points ditto.
System Restore is monitoring & started (as is Scheduled Tasks).
I have used XP repair, which tells me that SR is "turned off or disabled" (it is not). I have I have tried special links from this forum & others, which follow through, seem to operate but do not cure the problem.
I have looked up the log but find nothing of help. My hard drive is 160 gb with only 7 gb used, & I have adjusted max capacity for SR from 1% to 12 %, none of which helps. I have read all I can find on the web.
I have backed up on XP automated recovery system, but I still need system restore.

Can anyone help me identify or cure the problem, or does anyone know of an independant System Restore programme which is available ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
NEVER 'upgrade' an OS ... always do a "Clean Install" then we'll know it is not and old something causing the problem.

:thumb:

Reaction score
What caused you to want to restore to begin with? That could be a root cause of your issue.

Next, Have you tried turning system restore off, rebooting, then turning it back on?

Not Googled by...

- Zhoul

----- Excerpt from a recent post of mine -----

The OS that I run today, is actually a living, breating, entity itself. It has been upgraded from Win 3.1 > 95 > 98 > 98SE > 2000 > XP. In all that time, I've never had to re-install and each new PC I get, inherits this being as it's new OS. With the type of spyware out there these days, it was becoming obviously apparant that I'd have to divise a way to save one of my oldest friends (yes, I mean the OS

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply & sorry I didn't phrase it correctly. It was a clean install on a brand new hard drive, and yes, I have tried turning SR offf completely and then on again! What I did not mention was that it was XP Pro although that may not make any difference.

Why did I want to use SR ? - new drive, new platform, wanted to make sure SR was functioning. I didn't have any system problem at the time, and not yet either.

Reaction score
I Hate It When This Happens.
Every Time You Install A Program You Should Make A Backup.
Microsoft Backup Is A Joke! It Wont Restore If You Make Too Many Changes After Your Last Backup.
Use Backit Up Version 5.4.9.125 It Zips A Full Backup To Another Drive And Erunt A Registry Backup.
I Am A Antipest And Freeware Man.

Ask a Question