XP SP2 Taskbar mouse over Hourglass

Extreme

I started with a reinstall of windows XP. The taskbar work as
advertised. then i installed SP2 and when ever i mouse over the task
bar the cursor turns to an hourglass. I searched for an answer and
everyone was takeing about disabling the ssdp service and the
universal plug and play host to resolve the problem. I tried this
resolution and it made no diference. I have found that if i end task
in the rundll in the processes list the problem goes away. also if you
wait long enough (for some thing to timeout maybe?) the taskbar is
useable again. Can anyone help shed some more light on this for me.

Thanks

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)

When you reinstalled XP, did you do so over itself. If yes, there might
have been file corruptions as a result, either of XP or of various
applications you have installed.

Here are a few things you can try to source the issue:
First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
virus scan.

Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com
Note: you should always be well backed up before running an application of
this type.

If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
issue.

Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
contained within may give a clue as to the
source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
figure out what is going on.

Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
download using that as this is a rather large download.

Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

Extreme

Thanks for the reply Michael but the computer doen not crash. The
reinstall of XP was over top of the default install of the toshiba
laptop that this problem is on. All the drivers have been updated and
that didnt seem to make a difference.

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

Would you please help me to clarify that you have clean-reinstalled your
system and the system hang doesn't change after the clean installation?
Would you specific into the steps how did you perform the clean install?
What anti-virus application you are now using? And, do you have any other
3rd party software could cause the issue installed in your system?

Thank you for the information, we need more to go further research.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.