Windows XP XP SP2 install hangs (black screen)

Reaction score
AMD 2000, 2G Win XP PRO. After an XP SP2 install, I get a black screen. Cursor is active. Safe mode shows that SP2 installed, but still only black screen. I was able to do a XP install/repair, and get to the GUI screen. Shift-f10 & c:/appwiz.cpl opens a win add/remove dialog box, and it shows XP2 as the last program on the add/remove list. I can see all my other programs intact.

According to all I have read, the black screen means that the SP2 install did not complete, completely due to some software/hardware conflict.

Is it safe to remove SP2 from here, and reboot, or complete the repair? I would MUCH rather go back to having a working SP1, than re-installing from scratch.

Advice?

ca

Reaction score
Is there alot of data on the hard drive at all? if it were me I would i would do a reinstall becuase I have not had much like in past unstalling sp2 Windows for some reason be came corrup and I had to reinstall again, but I might be wrong. Might be best to wait and see what other people say.

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question