XP SP2 error ''Error Text: Stop: C0000135...'

CM

Don't know if you can help, I'm desperate for some guidance!

Offered to sort out a guy at work's Dell laptop (was riddled with dialers,
spyware etc.).

Took the following steps:
*Disinfected
*Ran spybot, adaware & other progs
*Appeared clean, so installed SP2 from the official MS disk (didn't go on
line the whole time)

After SP2, I keep getting the blue screen error message 'Error Text: Stop:
c0000135.....' (full text below) upon switching on the machine. It won't
boot to windows dispite trying F8 or F2 - gives the option to boot in safe
mode, which it won't.
Have tried to boot from the recovery disc but it's having none of that and
still the blue screen of death!

You can see the response from Dell below when I emailed them. The answer
they gave I already knew after googling and finding the same response on
Dell & MS knowledge databases (basically, there seems to have been some
uncleared spyware which has prevented SP2's install and is causing the
crash). No doubt I'd be able to fix the problem if I could get into
windows!

Sorry this is a bit lengthy, but any advice appreciated!