XP Pro ASR backup to Linux server

G

My XP pro installation is on a RAID 0 array (promise fasttrack lite controller on a GA-7VAXP main board ). I've managed to map an xp drive to a directory on the linux SMB file server that connected to xp via my linksys router, AND I've successfully created an ASR floppy disk and backup.bkf file on the linux box but the question is -- will this work? Will ASR be able to see the linux smb server when the need arises? TIA for any advice before this thing fails.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Why don't you try it out and see for yourself if it will work?

Please visit the experts in the Server newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.server.general

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| My XP pro installation is on a RAID 0 array (promise fasttrack lite controller on a GA-7VAXP main board ).
I've managed to map an xp drive to a directory on the linux SMB file server that connected to xp via my
linksys router, AND I've successfully created an ASR floppy disk and backup.bkf file on the linux box but the
question is -- will this work? Will ASR be able to see the linux smb server when the need arises? TIA for any
advice before this thing fails.

G

Only reason I've not tried it yet is because I think ASR formats the target drive -- and I'm using that RAID array right now. Guess we'll have to wait till it all goes loco.

M

mrtee

That is correct, the first thing that ASR does is format the system drive then it installs a fresh copy of XP pro.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff
__________in response to__________

| Only reason I've not tried it yet is because I think ASR formats the target drive -- and I'm using that RAID array right now. Guess we'll have to wait till it all goes loco.

Ask a Question