XP Pro activation problem

Rick Kent

I installed a customer-provided copy of XP Professional
onto a new build PC. After installation, during
activation, MS told me that my copy had already been
activated/registered. Questioning the client, I found that
the XP CD had been installed already to another PC, under
another name. I then sold the client her own XP Pro OEM
CD, but it won't let her activate when entering the new
key code during the activation process. Is there a way to
fix this without reloading her new system from scratch?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rick,
It won't let her activate or it won't take the product key?
The Activation Wizard will allow you to change the product key if the media
was OEM in both cases. If the installation was with Retail Media then the
best thing to do is upgrade the install and put in the correct key during
setup.
Keys can only be changed when the media type and product are the same.
You can change teh key to go from OEM to OEM or from Professional to
Professional for example.
You cannot change keys to go from Retail to OEM or from Home to
Professional for example
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]