XP Pro 32 bit Capabilities(read limitations) for memmory and proce

I am attempting to spec out some PC's at work for Development. I intially
wanted 4G memmory and two Pentium D (Dual Core) processors. But while
specing them out I realized that Win XP Pro (32bit) may not be able to handle
or even use that much PC.

I have search forever today trying to locate something somewhere that tells
the limitations of Windows XP Pro 32. Does anyone know where I can find and
read up on this information?

Patrick Keenan

"Xp Pro 32 Hardware Limitations" <Xp Pro 32 Hardware
I am attempting to spec out some PC's at work for Development. I intially
wanted 4G memmory and two Pentium D (Dual Core) processors. But while
specing them out I realized that Win XP Pro (32bit) may not be able to
handle
or even use that much PC.

I have search forever today trying to locate something somewhere that
tells
the limitations of Windows XP Pro 32. Does anyone know where I can find
and
read up on this information?

I googled " XP number of processors supported" to get this page, which
details memory and number of processors supported by various versions of XP
and Windows Server 2000.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888732/en-us

XP Pro supports two processors, only. IIRC one dual-core processor is seen
as two processors, hence two dual-cores will be seen as four. XP Pro
supports 4 gb memory, but XP Pro x64 supports 128 gig.

If you need to use Windows, and you need to use 4 processors or cores, you
may need to use Server 2003.

HTH
-pk

Patrick Keenan

"Xp Pro 32 Hardware Limitations" <Xp Pro 32 Hardware
I am attempting to spec out some PC's at work for Development. I intially
wanted 4G memmory and two Pentium D (Dual Core) processors. But while
specing them out I realized that Win XP Pro (32bit) may not be able to
handle
or even use that much PC.

I have search forever today trying to locate something somewhere that
tells
the limitations of Windows XP Pro 32. Does anyone know where I can find
and
read up on this information?

It looks like XP Pro will use two physical CPUs, regardless of the number of
cores each physical CPU has.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore.mspx

"Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the
number of cores on the processor. Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one
processor."

So, XP Pro does support 4 gig ram and two, dual (or more) core processors.

HTH
-pk

Ground Cover

1. What mobo and chipset supports 2 Penitum Ds ?? Last I heard Intel has
screwed that so it wouldn't cut into their Xeon sales ?? Although I'm often
wrong about these things:

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=302555

2. And if you find one why not Windows Server 2003 as a workstation - eh?
Although a bit pricey, it supports a number of CPUs:

--watch the wordwrap with the URLs--

[Windows Server 2003 for under 573.87]
http://www.softwaremedia.com/produc...vcpn=windows-server-2003-standard-with-5-cals

[How to convert your Windows Server 2003 to a Workstation!]
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

[Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation - OS News]

Ground Cover

Oh, I want to mention: Windows XP supports 2 physical CPUs - the number of
logical CPUs therein doesn't matter.