Windows XP xp not booting

Reaction score
Hi,
If xp doesnt boot properly(restarts at initial steps) do we have better method than format?
Regards

Reaction score
tech4world said:
Hi,
If xp doesnt boot properly(restarts at initial steps) do we have better method than format?
Regards

Sorry but how longs a piece of string ?

Please post the error code or use step-by-step boot to find at which file it reboots whilst loading.

Reaction score
thanx dear but no error code is displayed,it automatically restarts after the initial boot steps.
regards

Reaction score
Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER

One of the options will boot into safe mode whilst displaying every file it processes. (Can't remember which one sorry)
If it reboots during this process take note of which file was last displayed.... this is the file that's causing Windows to reboot.

Please report back what file it is..... (If it's an AMD system from HP please check their website for the sp3 fix)

Reaction score
its a lenovo desktop and sp2 is installed,failed to boot in any of the modes.
dear do u have a yahoo or any other msngr id,that 'll b quick

regards

Reaction score
Yes there is an alternative to Re-Formating. FIXBOOT AND FIXMBR! What you will need is the O/S disc. (A Win XP disc)
Go ahead and boot from it and when prompted press "R" do do a repair with the recovery console, next you may be asked which partition, select your C:\ drive (In most cases it doesn`t give you options, just press enter if asked) then when prompted type fixboot and press enter, then type fixmbr and press enter Viola! you just repaired the boot sector on your HDD and also rewrote the master boot record for XP, it should boot then! :)

Reaction score
KyleD617 said:
Yes there is an alternative to Re-Formating. FIXBOOT AND FIXMBR! What you will need is the O/S disc. (A Win XP disc)
Go ahead and boot from it and when prompted press "R" do do a repair with the recovery console, next you may be asked which partition, select your C:\ drive (In most cases it doesn`t give you options, just press enter if asked) then when prompted type fixboot and press enter, then type fixmbr and press enter Viola! you just repaired the boot sector on your HDD and also rewrote the master boot record for XP, it should boot then! :)

Corrupt MBR and BOOT records give a system hang.... not a reboot.
The reboot is caused by a conflicting driver, corrupted data or damaged hardware.

If it was the MBR it would say "failed to located MBR" or something like that and not reboot.

Soz for not getting back earlier.... in the mids of moving out of me parents and into a flat with my g/f. Normal service will be resumed shortly :D

Reaction score
I honestly did it like 1hr ago, i had an old laptop and it wouldnt boot, it was boot looping into the windows advanced options screen, i ran fixmbr and fixboot, then it booted right up

Ask a Question