Windows 7 XP in Win7

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Do you have system restore operational?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

As long as you have a recent restore point, you can go back to that date.

If the "Windows" folder that you deleted was the XP folder, you can try to do a repair installation using the "boot CD" that you used to install XP. That should restore function to XP without removing settings and software you may have installed.

Reaction score
Can't thank you enough Surfer:D
One or two problems after restore, Norton went funny but eventually fixed itself, Descktop background dissapeared & I had to fix it.
Only problem left unless anthing else pops up is I have a message on the Desktop saying "This copy of Widows is not genuine"
Regards Terry:bow:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Only problem left unless anthing else pops up is I have a message on the Desktop saying "This copy of Widows is not genuine"
Regards Terry:bow:

Click on Start orb, in the search field type "slui" without quotations, you'll see a little set of keys pop up, click on them and follow from there, You might need a restart, once done the message should be gone :D

Reaction score
The virtual machine does not get covered by a virus scanner. A virtual machine is how the security guys test viral infections and propagation. If you get a virus in the virtual machine, the host system should not get infected. I imagine that this would change if you were to share folders from host to virtual. Creating a direct link such as that to the virtual machine could open a channel by which many viruses use to infect other machines.

Check out this document on securing virtual machines. http://www.infosecwriters.com/text_resources/pdf/BFowler_VIrtual_Environment.pdf
I am not certain of your level of knowledge, so some of the verbage may be a little advanced. However, the general idea can be conveyed if you understand the basics.

If you are just using it for games, it should be fine. If you plan to connect to the Internet, grab Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, made by Microsoft, works reasonably well and is not very intrusive when attempting to work with the machine.

Hi Surfer, finally got round to fixing the issue.
The link you gave me was very usfull.
I had purchased Norton 2011 for my old XP Dell mc, then installed it on the new win7 mc.
Still had the warnings on the XP Virtual mc.
I loaded the Norton CD in the XP Virtual mc and it worked ok, much to my suprise as it was the third time I had loaded from the CD (single licence).
So all is well, cheers Terry:cheers:

Ask a Question