Windows 7 Networking XP to WIN7

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Looking for Surfer.
Sorry can't find original tread.
Surfer told me:-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Can you go the other direction? XP to 7 shared? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would definitely guess that your permissions are a bit out of whack. Try creating a new folder and sharing that. You could drag n drop the folder to the shared folders location and that should share it, but I like to do it the old fashioned way of right click and share. This will allow you to set permissions and user access. Share the folder and click the permissions button. Place the user, in this case your administrator account, in the access list. You will have to do this on both machines for which folders are shared, and probably for each shared folder. You could try to use a top level folder and control sharing that way (ex. shared folders) but, again, I like to do it the old fashioned way of each folder I want to share. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What it comes down to is the fact that Windows is attempting to use your Windows credentials to get into a share. The share does not have this computer's admin account listed as one that may access the share. Place the admin account in the access control list and you should be ok.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
I left it for a while as had other problems to sort out but now need to get the netwok going.
I have managed to set up a 'Home Group' by creating it on the XP mc using the Netwok Wizard, creating a file 'netsetupexe' to run on the Win7 mc.
After doing this I can see shared files on the Win7 mc from the XP mc, but not files from the XP mc on the Win7 mc, which is wat I need.
Even when on the XP mc it will not alow me to view its own 'SharedDocs' .
whether trying to view SharedDocs from the XP mc or the Win7 mc I get the same window, see attached.
Regards Terry[/FONT]

Attachments

• Network Error.pdf
    27.9 KB · Views: 280

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Ok. Now that I am up to speed.

Courtesy:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/xp-win7-t4039551.html

That's the original, right? Just making sure so I know what we are talking about.

Now. Since the wizard was run to share it, chances are something got messed up during the share process.

2s7u994.png

What do you have in the box by the arrow? The lower box is for the actual share. It shows who can see the share Since you can see it, this is probably set up correctly..

2livc7s.png

Check this next. As it will probably be just you with this setup and also for testing purposes, add the everyone group if it is not there. This should let you in from anywhere. From there, we can tighten restrictions. Typically, you could create groups and lump people together. But that is for another time.

edit: Also, when you get back up to the box with Arrow three in it, click full control. This will let you add/delete/create/read anything in the folder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Surfer,
I have never dealt with networks & file sharing before so please excuse my struggling with it.
Your screen shots look good but I don’t know how to get to the ‘Install Properties’ your first screen?
I assume from the shots that they are in Win7. So I haven’t done yet what you instructed.
I ran the ‘HomeGroup’ diagnostics in Win7 & it could find no problems.
I looked at the ‘Network Map’ on the Win7 mc, it said the XP mc could not be shown on the map.
This morning I got into the file shearing window on the XP mc and checked that everything was ticked to allow complete access.
Can’t remember how I did it, but still have the same problem on the XP mc. It won’t let me look at its own ‘ShearedDoc’ folder so I think the problem is in the XP mc.
I don’t know how to check if I am logged on as ‘Administrator’.
Regards Terry (Confused):cry:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Sorry bout that. You can get to this for each folder that you share. Navigate to the folder and right click. Then properties. This will allow you to change the security options for it.

It will be a different profile and will most likely need to configure one as you have never logged in as the actual administrator.
To check to see If your user is an Administrator:
Computer Management>
right click your username>
properties>Mermber of tab.

You should see administrators listed in this box. If not, your user is not an admin. If so, then yay. However, the actual administrator has the supreme power over the system.

If you need to add the user, I can give you the steps

As for logging in, you can log off from the start menu.
You then must hit ctrl alt del twice to bring up the additional login screen. This is only for XP. Windows 7 is a bit more complicated.
However, before you do this, you will need to make sure you know the admin passwords and your actual username before you log out. Else, you will need to restart the machine to auto login in again.
You can check the users in Computer Management. Start>My Computer>Right click>Manage.
From there, users and groups.
Click Users. There you will see the users.
Right clickthe user you want to reset the password. You can blank them by clicking OK at the enter password box.

Edit: I think that flows a bit better.

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Don't worry. It's not as complicated as it sounds. There are a lot of words to describe something simple. I suppose I could have formatted better. Perhaps, I will have a go at it.

Edit: I formatted the post so it would be a little more clear. There are a couple key words I left out that will probably help. Sometime me brain dun werk soh gud.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Surfer
Did - [FONT=&quot]Start>My Computer>Right click>Manage. From there, users and groups.
Could not find [/FONT][FONT=&quot]users and groups.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please see attached.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards Terry[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• Computer Management.pdf
    54.6 KB · Views: 455

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
are you logged in as administrator?

One quick way to check this would be to bring up the local users and groups diagloge.

Click on start
Run
type "control<space>userpasswords2" without quotes and use a space where applicable.

this will bring you up to the secondary user accounts dialoge. Click the Advanced Tab. There you should see an advanced button. This will open local users and groups. I think you'll get a message saying that you aren't an admin. If the box opens, yay. Continue with checking for status.

Reaction score
Hi Surfer, sorry for the delay in replying, been busy transferring my Quicken data which was why I wanted networking.
Did it with external drives as could not get network going.
I did manage to check that I am listed as in the ‘administrators’ group. Also created a share on the XP mc as you instructed.
Result still the same, the XP mc will not allow me to look into its own shared group so the win7 machine cannot view any files in the XP mc. I can see files in the win7 mc from the XP mc.
Not important to network now so don’t use any more of your time on it. Putting the old PC to sleep for use only in emergencies & will transfer stuff via external drives when I need to.
PS have successfully got Quicken 2011 US working with the data exported from Quicken 6 UK version.
If anyone needs to do it, I know the way but it ain’t easy.
Many thanks for your help.
Terry:cheers:

Ask a Question